Direct transfer of GoPro video to ipad to sync with data?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Direct transfer of GoPro video to ipad to sync with data?

Post by Harry »

At least the reader sold by Apple brings up the Photos app. Your reader may require some app available for the reader (are there no instructions available, which type is it?). In any case, the videos need to go to the Photos app.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The Apple reader costs significantly less than the Lexar. According to the web page for the microSD reader, you need to install a free file manager app.
Works with use of free file management app (App Store®)
http://www.lexar.com/products/card-read ... U=LRWMLBNL
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Yes, I just saw the statement about it working with the free file management app from the app store in tiny print on the back of the container. I paid way less than the price quoted at the link, by the way - I believe it was $29.95 at Amazon, with free shipping. It looks like Lexar recommends the Lexar Mobile Management app (what a shock). I tried downloading it, but ran into another stumbling block - I need my wife's (it's here ipad mini) itunes password, and she can't remember it, so I'm dead in the water at the moment.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

You should be able to reset the password on a computer. https://appleid.apple.com

That should work unless you used two step verification and have lost the recovery key as well. In that case, you're out of luck.
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Yes, my 19-year-old daughter explained to me how to recover a forgotten password. I'm out of town for a few days (visiting her, actually), so I will give it a try when I get back.
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

OK, I've successfully (it was very easy) transferred the videos stored on my Gopro's micro SD card to my ipd mini through the Lexar mobile manager app, and am able to select the video I choose and play it on the ipad. But how do I link the video I'd like to the lap stored in Laptimer? I opened the lap, brought up Video Details, and selected re-link. This brings up a video list, and under the GOPRO HERO4 heading,it says the while in wifi (which I am), footage can be transferred to this device. Below that is a spinning wheel, which as been spinning for over 15 minutes as I type this, so it doesn't look like anything is going to happen. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

Edit: Never mind - I figured it out.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please disconnect the GoPro, that's just confusing for this step. This Go Pro section in Video List is kind of a repository browser for a cam connected currently. It can be used to see what's available in remote but has very limited functionality otherwise.

As you have transferred the video to your iPad mini already, you should see it in section "Camera Roll" (which is a placeholder for your Photo library where the video has been transferred to.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

OK, direct transfer from the Gopro's SD card to the ipad works using a Lexar Micro SD reader/Lightning connector. I tested it on the neighborhood lap I created, after transferring everything to my new ipad mini. I've done nothing but ask for help on this forum, often when I should have easily been able to figure out the problem on my own, ever since I've been using Laptimer, so it's time to give something back to the community. Here are the step-by-step instructions for how to do the direct transfer:

1. Remove micro SD card from camera, and place into Micro SD-to-Lightning reader
2. Plug reader into ipad
3. Open Lexar Mobile Manager app
4. Select External Storage
5. Select dcim
6. Select 100gopro
7. Tap on “Select” in upper right-hand corner
8. Select video of interest. Make sure it has the “.mp4” file type.
9. Select Copy
10. Select Camera Roll – It will say “Preparing [video file name]”, then “Copying”. Wait till copying is finished
11. Remove the reader from the ipad
12. Close the Lexar Mobile Manager app
13. Open Laptimer
14. Select lap you want to link video to
15. Click on the image of the camera to bring up Video Details window
16. Scroll to the bottom and select re-link
17. Scroll down to Camera Roll, and select video of interest
18. In the next window, press re-link, then OK
19. Go back to the lap, tap on the video, and select the Play button just below the image from the video

I still have one question, though. The videos that are transferred using this method are stored in the Photo app, but when I go to the Photo app and play one of the videos, only the video plays - without the data collected by Laptimer. On videos I have previously transferred to the ipad going through iTunes on my desktop computer, the data is shown in the video when I play it from the Photo app. I like this because videos played from the Photo app fill the whole screen, while those played within Laptimer only fill about half the screen. I tried deleting this most recent video, and then copying it to my ipad via iTunes as I had done previously, and this one also doesn't display the data when playing it from the Photo app. Any idea what I have to do to get the data to display with the video when playing the video from within the Photo app? Or is there a way to get the video to fill the whole scree when playing it within Laptimer? Thanks.
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Im trying to do this with Apples LIghting to SD Card Reader, and I'm a little confused, Perhaps part of my problem is that it seems my camera's clock was a little off (right date, but several hours off).

Here's what I did

1. Hooked the Lighting SD Reader up with the card from my GoPro Hero+ In it
2. Transferred all video to the iPhone
3. Launch Harry's
4. Press "Anaylsis"
5. Press "Lap List"
6. Pressed "Session" so I could see more clearly
7. Picked Session I was curious about in this case (10:52-11:20 am)
8. Note all laps have video camera icon on them, so clicked on the first lap
9. Underr the two buttons which say "Challenge" and "HAll of Fame" there's a video section which says "OFfline" so I cliked that camera
10. Read message "Error: CAnnot find video selcted, it has probable been moved to another place, or it has been deleted. OFffline videos need to be transferred and re-linked to the smartphone before accessing them" I click OK on this
11. I'm looking for something that says "Re-link" in the page called "Video Details" and I can't find such a button

How do I re-link the video, will it automatically pick up the rest of the videos for this session since the gopro has split them into 12 minute ish chunks?

thank you for the guidance.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The Re-Link button is an icon made up from a dark blue and light blue cam. It is available in Video Details coming up in step 10/11. Once you have selected the video, LapTimer will relink the full session. In case your HERO video is split into multiple chunks, you can use this operation for the first chunk only. For outer chunks, you need to adjust the sync manually, there is no automatic support available currently. The alternative is to join the chunks on your PC and re-link the joined full video.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image