Question about Lap Timer

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
kevilay
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Question about Lap Timer

Post by kevilay »

Hello,

I was interested in getting a good lap timer in my circle track racing truck. I am looking to have my lap times / sectors recorded. But also to have a live (vrs best time) time going. Ie 0.20 behind best lap. Live as you go around the track. Does Harrys do this? This is my main use for it. I notice there are several versions of the app, I am not sure which would suit me best. Can you put the overlay into a video done by any camera? I use a Polaroid action cam. (not really my main use, but would be cool)

Are their GPS adapters for android that work with this app? (Samsung s6 to be exact). My phone GPS does not always work that well I would like something accurate to 0.1s at least.

I also didn't see my track, im assuming I could add it in? Delaware Speedway in Delaware Ontario

Thanks for your help,
Kevin Lay
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about Lap Timer

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Yes, LapTimer does all of this (laps, sectors, real time gap analysis, overlaying video) and more. For the Polaroid, please take care to use "standard resolution" (see Video Documentation on www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation). The edition you will want to go for is Petrolhead. You can upgrade to GP later from within the app.

Compatible GPS receivers are listed on www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/android.

You can add your own tracks, but please send us a link to track information to Tracks@gps-laptimer.de and we will add it for you.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
kevilay
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kevilay »

Awesome, I am going to try it at the track today with my phone GPS. If you had to pick a best bang for the buck gps, what would you recommend? Trying to get somewhere around 0.05 to 0.1s accuracy
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Provided you mount the smartphone in a perfect position directly behind the windscreen, you will achieve this accuracy with the internal GPS mostly. External GPSes are required in case you want to analyze line driven, braking points etc. For options, please have a look into the link above. It includes a discussion on pros and cons. The listed devices have a similar value for money ratio from my point of view.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
kevilay
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kevilay »

Harry wrote:Hi,

Yes, LapTimer does all of this (laps, sectors, real time gap analysis, overlaying video) and more. For the Polaroid, please take care to use "standard resolution" (see Video Documentation on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation). The edition you will want to go for is Petrolhead. You can upgrade to GP later from within the app.

Compatible GPS receivers are listed on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/android.

You can add your own tracks, but please send us a link to track information to Tracks@gps-laptimer.de and we will add it for you.

Harry
Hello harry,

I was trying to setup my own track and was having issues. I cant blame the software because I didn't have enough time to do it properly.

What information do you need to add my track?

Delaware Speedway
Delaware Ontario
0.5Mile Oval
kevilay
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kevilay »

Hello Again,

I have taken some time tonight and used the MAP feature to put a start finish on my track along with 4 splits. I set all the variables and the direction so the arrow is pointing the right way. Is there anything else I need to do before I can go back on the track? When we go to race we dont have alot of time inbetween practice and race to adjust things.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please goto Lap List and select the row showing User Track Set in your Delaware section. In the list of POIs shown now, select Certify and send the track set to us. We will verify it and push it to the server. This will add some additional verification and even allows you to get a Hall of Fame for this track.

If possible, please add a link to this thread to the mail generated when certifying the track.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
kevilay
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kevilay »

I have sent it as you requested
Monika
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Monika »

Delaware Speedway is now available for download.
Please check it out via 'add-ons', update list via button at top right corner and search e.g. for ‚Delaw‘.

- Monika