Motorcycle Data Logger with Dual XGPS160

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
bacolmm
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Motorcycle Data Logger with Dual XGPS160

Post by bacolmm »

Is it possible to use the Dual XGPS160 as a data-logger and then use Harrys to interpret the data? I'd like to only have the 160 on the bike and transfer the data once I get back into the pits. I messed with it all weekend and can't figure out how to accomplish this? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Motorcycle Data Logger with Dual XGPS160

Post by Harry »

While LapTimer supports after the fact import of data logs using formats .nmea and .gpx, it does not yet support this for the .kml files Dual uses. I have this on my list but this feature request it has not received many votes so far...

Harry
Image Image Image Image
bacolmm
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by bacolmm »

Harry wrote:While LapTimer supports after the fact import of data logs using formats .nmea and .gpx, it does not yet support this for the .kml files Dual uses. I have this on my list but this feature request it has not received many votes so far...

Harry
So I can convert the file from .kml to .gpx and then view in the app. How do I import the file into the app?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Converting .kml to .gpx is not a trivial task, but you may try... To import any logger file, send it by mail to any account you can open on your phone. Touch the attachment and select LapTimer to open it. Please make sure the track set covered by the log is loaded before the import. It will be used to split the log into laps.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

If I remember correctly, The Dual logging only works at 1Hz, not 10 Hz. 1Hz is not particularly useful for analysis. The internal logging of a VBOX Sport runs at 20Hz and since it's in .vbo format, can be, I think, imported directly into HLT. It costs more than a Dual, though.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Starting with firmware version 1.3.5, the SkyPro has an adjustable logging rate. Values of 10, 5, and 1 Hz can be set. Dual provided this feature in their API as well as an option to download the kml file for after the fact lap recognition in LapTimer. As I have not received a lot of requests on logger operation I somehow never added Dual logger support to LapTimer. :-(

- Harry

P.S. Not sure the setting is included in one of their apps...
Image Image Image Image
bacolmm
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by bacolmm »

OK, so with the help of an old iPod, I've made some progress and was able to get some lap-times. I messed up the video though. It appeared to me that the iPod recognized the GoPro. I believe the error I made was hitting the record button on the GoPro before going out on the track? I believe that had I not done that, the GoPro would have started recording when I hit the start/finish line and the video would have been available as a file on my iPod? Ultimately I'm hoping that I can see the real time predictive lap data overlaid on the video. I'm hoping that's possible? I believe it would be an excellent tool to analyze what is making one lap quicker than another.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You don't need to start recording for the HERO, LapTimer does it for you. I'd need to check if running it manually will keep LapTimer from adding sync information - not sure. Video files always need to be transferred manually. Please have a look into Video Documentation available from http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation for the details. Even if footage is not aligned to laps currently, you can add it manually (see the doc).

Predictive lap timing is not embedded in the overlay. Instead, select the lap to analyse from Lap List and make sure the correct reference lap is used. Goto Data Recordings and select Preview / Charts. The blue graph in the background shows accumulated time won and lost. When it is going down steep, you have done something good and vice versa. Set a cursor to get details on this area. For LapTimer GrandPrix, the video frame will be shown in addition.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
alycda
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alycda »

Harry wrote:While LapTimer supports after the fact import of data logs using formats .nmea and .gpx, it does not yet support this for the .kml files Dual uses. I have this on my list but this feature request it has not received many votes so far...

Harry
How can I do this using LapTimer Rookie v21 on iPhone?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Load the track set front up. Send the .nmea, or .vbo, or .gpx file as a mail to yourself. Open that mail on your iPhone and touch the attachment.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image