Merging GOPro Videos in a single run session

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
llan981
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Merging GOPro Videos in a single run session

Post by llan981 »

How would you recommend merging GoPro videos that split during one run session. Typically at 1080P 30FPS GoPro starts a new video at 3.81GB, if you have a run session at 3.81GB and 1.2GB what options do you have to seamlessly link them both to a run session?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Merging GOPro Videos in a single run session

Post by gplracerx »

You'll need to use a video editor on a PC to join the two segments into one file. Then load that back onto the phone. Of course that assumes that the phone OS can deal with files that large.
johan6504
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by johan6504 »

There is program called mp4-joiner that works for me.
http://www.mp4joiner.org/en/
rayray
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by rayray »

I was just able to do this directly on my Android phone (S6 Edge) without having to use a PC to merge the mp4 files. The Android app is called AndroVid Pro. Use the MERGE function in the app to select both large GoPro video files on your phone and it will output to single, amalgamated MP4 file. Then link this new file to your laps in HLT.

I tested an overlay from a lap that came from the first GoPro vid file (pre-merging), and also a later lap that originally came from the second GoPro vid file. Both were properly sync'd in the overlay output. I have not tried the whole session overlay at once, but assume it would work.

Still would love to figure out how to make the GoPro create smaller vid files, though. I'm recording in 720 / 30 fps to minimize file size, which is a waste of the camera's capabilities.
Last edited by rayray on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rayray
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by rayray »

p.s. you will need the paid version AndroVid Pro, to work with longer video files.
rrankins
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rrankins »

You can do this on the iPhone directly with iMovie.
Start a project and import the video segments in the proper order.
I defaults to using a fade to link the segments - you can change it to none.
Save the movie as a video and then you can load it back into LapTimer and re-link the full video with the session.
llan981
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by llan981 »

As we move from 740P to 1080P and to 4K and average run times at 15 Min or longer, it would be great if HLT could provide a auto-join option instead of looking for a 3rd party option.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes!
Image Image Image Image
llan981
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Merging two VID's over 6.5G for a session

Post by llan981 »

I have a 6.5GB merged file from two videos at 1080P30FPS and uploaded to HLT in Iphone. After I linked the video to the track session, I got;

CONFIRMATION
Number of laps available from multi lap overlays reduced due to inconsistent sync points. Please adjust the lap's sync point and agree to adjust the full session.

Is this the expected outcome? Is this because the video is merged? Do you sync first of last lap or does it matter?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This means LapTimer does not allow to overlay all laps associated with the video but a subset only. Reasons for this can be a lap deleted from the middle of a session, or a time gap between two consecutive laps. Usually, you can ignore this warning. Sample: laps 1,2,3,4 are recognized as one session, 5,6,7,8 as another session, all these laps are associated with the same video. Select e.g lap 2 and you can extend the range to 1-4 but not to 8. Select lap 5 and you can extend the range overlaid to 5-8 but not to 1 etc.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image