Analysing Laps from iPhone in iPad

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
doloresse1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Analysing Laps from iPhone in iPad

Post by doloresse1 »

Hello to all,

I just own a iPhone which does its job during driving really excellent!
But when I am in the Pits and I want to check my driving (brakepoints, cornerspeed, ...)
than the screen of the iPhone is really small.

I plan to buy an iPad to analyse my rounds, BUT:
Whats the best and most easy way to analyse tracks on the iPad, which are stored on the iPhone?
Export and sending via email is too complicated in the Pits. Is there any other way to use an iPad for just
analysing the tracks of the iPhone (via Bluetooth)? Kinda a Remote session via Bluetooth?

And a Question to Harry: Is there any statistic available for one session which provides info about:
fastest section in defined round
Maximum Speed in defined round
best laptime when calculating the best section times of a session
and so on?

would be great ...

kind regards

LT Fan
randy
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Analysing Laps from iPhone in iPad

Post by Harry »

There is a device 2 device transfer available from the bottom of Lap List. Due to a limitation in Apple's framework some updates ago, with devices seem to need to be in a common WiFi. Using export and import is preferable from my point if view and actually very easy to do.

There are plenty of statistics available in LapTimer ‣ Analysis ‣ Lap List ‣ any lap of a session ‣ Lap Details ‣ Data Recordings / Preview ‣ Laps. You can drill down into the data and select several selections of laps - including the full session. It includes best sector analysis and virtual best. A high speed analysis is not available on session level. I'd recommend to start working what exist. Once you have seen the stuff, please post on Feature Request to get votes.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
doloresse1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by doloresse1 »

Is there any possibility to use Bluetooth for transferring data between iPhone and iPad?

This would be easier than switching between the WIFI Networks (OBD WIFI and PIT WIFI if available).

And thanks for the Statistik information. It´s indeed the small screen of an iPhone which makes the post processing of the
data a little bit complicated.

kind regards

randy
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, that's were the 6S Plus and iPads kick in... No option for pure BT communication currently. It used to work but has been ruined in one of the later iOS8 releases. I assume their testers sit in offices all the time. :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
doloresse1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by doloresse1 »

... thats bad.
I basically thought that this BT restricitons has been implemented to avoid data transfer to other devices than apple devices, only.
But from apple to apple - thats defenitely bad :-(

Shame on the product mangers ;-)

kr
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You can connect to the same WiFi or even tether one iOS device with the other. But agreed, this should work with BT only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

i have maybe another dumb question. Is there any simple way to sync data between 2 or more devices (android), or I must do it via mail or Dropbox etc.. So export all data, store them to storage and then on another device download data from storage and import them into app.
2016 SEAT Leon CUPRA 290 ST

HLT Grand Prix (Android) + OBDLink LX BT + XGPS160 + GoPro 11 Black + GoPro 7 Black
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, classic export / import. No syncing cloud so far.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
doloresse1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by doloresse1 »

Hi Harry,

I think thats a Basic requirement from all Motorbikers:

You cannot mount an iPad on a bike
AND
postprocessing, meaning analysing the data on an small screen of a phone
is very "unsexy".

On many tracks there is no local free wifi available, and the copy/paste/mail/ ... Transfer procedure
is very complicated, especially when you are filled up with adrenaline ;-)

Any idea to solve this issue - it must be a quick and easy workflow ...

(kinda xmas letter :-))

kr
Randy
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Well, a basic requirement for one person is something other would never think about. ;-) Indeed the number of users carrying both an iPhone and an iPad to the track with no WiFi is very small. And there are 200 more basic feature requests on my list...

I'd love to have D2D working using BT only nevertheless, no questions. As discussed above, the problem is the issue in Apple's communication library. Building something up without WiFi and without standard Bluetooth needs time and consideration.

But for someone handling two devices at a time, there is a workaround available. Set the iPhone to tethering mode and connect the iPad to the WiFi the iPhone creates. Try the D2D function again and it may work. At least mail export / import will work when doing it like this.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image