Can Laptimer be used without internet connection?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
arios79
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Can Laptimer be used without internet connection?

Post by arios79 »

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to use Harry Laptimer without an internet connection?

Indeed, I would like to use Harry Laptimer on an Ipad with a WIFI connection only. So does it work on a track without WIFI connection?

Regards,
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can Laptimer be used without internet connection?

Post by Harry »

Provided you load your track definitions front up, LapTimer does not require Internet access for standard operation. Features like Hall of Fame, sharing Challenges, and Online viewing is certainly not available without Internet access. Please take care with your iPad: in case it is a WiFi only version, it has no GPS either. Please add an external GPS to iPads without GPS (or iPod touches).

Options are listed on www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
arios79
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by arios79 »

Hello, thanks for the clear answer
John Dea
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by John Dea »

Provided you load your track definitions front up
Can you explain what this means?

I loaded the track and data I wanted to use at home with WiFi, then went to the track for a lapping day, the track has no public WiFi. When I tried to start a race session it kept wanting to download the track data again and when it couldn't it failed. I ended up having to create a new track, which is a PITA. How do I get around not having a data connection? Doesn't seem that should be necessary.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Like written above, it is not necessary. Load the track set at home. This will store the trigger definitions needed to start / stop laps on your phone. You can see them in Lap List as Certified Track Sets. Once at the track, just bring up Timer View and drive.

In case you purge the track set on site for some reason, or want to change configuration, you will certainly need an Internet connection again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

I've had the same experience as John Dea is describing, I've loaded everything at home, then gotten to the track and it's required that I load it again. I can't figure out the exact steps but it's happened to me several times now. Twice the track had WiFi and once I had to tether to my phone but it simply wouldn't load the track, in one case it was a track I'd even bin at before.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

When loading a track, an Internet connection is required. But tracks loaded already, are available without any action. You can check whether a track set is loaded in Lap List: as long as a track comes with a first row with title “Certified Track Set”, it is ready to be driven.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

By "Loading a track" I mean going to prepare race and picking my track.

Sitting at my desk maybe I know what we're doing wrong.

1. Laptimer Main screen
2. Pick "Prepare Race"
3. here I've clicked "Load Track"
4. I pick "Select Track"
5. and then picked the track I want (I really wish it would sort this by distance I am from the track (right now the two closes tracks aren't there) and click "Load"

if instead I do this.

1. Laptimer Main Screen
2. Pick "Prepare Race"
3. Click "Status" in the upper right corner
4. It shows a small dialog and the track is the top item, click on it
5. Then I get a short list of the tracks I've previously loaded, and I pick one there, then it doesn't try and reload

I think the issue is just one of UX confusion I would expect "Load Track" to not go re-grab something I already had downloaded but it seems like maybe it does, and I'm guessing that's on purpose.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The misunderstanding is a different one: LapTimer changes between tracks automatically. There is no need to load or select a track to make it the active track. Once LapTimer approaches any trigger, it will check which track it belongs to and switch automatically. This means Load Track is optional. In case it has been loaded already, it will be used.

The selection of tracks in Status is for manual recordings only. For manual recordings (i.e. recording you start by pressing a button) do not have a tigger context. The "lap" will be stored to the track selected currently.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

oh! Somehow I missed that, will try that next time.