Creating own track

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Creating own track

Post by Harry »

Adding a track to the Track list requires a certification and is done for reusable tracks only. When creating a track locally, it is stored locally. You can see your track in Lap List. POIs created are grouped in the first row in the track's section or 'Unspecified' in case they are not associated with track.

Directions are like on a compass. North is zero, East is 90, South is 180 and West is 270. As zero is used for 'undefined', use 1 or 359 for North. It is not necessary to set direction precisely, a rough match is fine.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Thanks; I see the track I created in the lap list. It's at the very bottom of the list, with its name ("Neighborhood"), and a label that says "User Track Set". When I tap on the track, it brings up a screen showing the five points of interest in the set (one of trigger type "Stop/Go", and four of type "Split"). My intent for creating this local "track" is to troubleshoot things like why I almost never get a video to record through my Gopro Hero4, and why I didn't get any data recording at all during my last session (I had to pull into the pits five times, going through the Prepare Race/Load Track procedure each time, until it finally worked on the fifth try, which wasted a lot of valuable track time).

So, I'm hoping my local track will provide a good platform for troubleshooting so I can finally get everything working smootly together. So, my next obvious question is, how exactly do I select my local "Neighborhood" track to run a test?

And thanks for the info on how to set the directions - I thought it was probably something like that, but wanted to be sure. I've placed my four split POIs on corners (street intersections, actually). Should I set the direction to be the direction of travel entering the intersection, or leaving? Or would it be better to move the points of interst slightly away from the intersections, so the direction of travel is unambiguous? Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You do not select a track except when recording manually (see Classic View). Whenever LapTimer finds a trigger, it will switch to this track automatically. The two items you need to check when triggering does not work are: a) good GPS reception and b) problem with WiFi GoPro connection.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Start with standard operation (smartphone only) and add the H4 later. It is always better to trouble shoot one thing at a time :-)
Image Image Image Image
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Harry wrote:You do not select a track except when recording manually (see Classic View). Whenever LapTimer finds a trigger, it will switch to this track automatically. The two items you need to check when triggering does not work are: a) good GPS reception and b) problem with WiFi GoPro connection.

- Harry
Ah, thanks. Out of caution/paranoia, the procedure I had always follwed was to first go to the Settings screen on my ipad Mini to confirm my Dual XGPS160 was recognized by Bluetooth. Then I opened Laptimer, went into Prepare Race, and selected the track, and finally went tinto Race, and selected Timer. So the Prepare Race step is toally unnecessary? All I have to do is go to "Race", then select "Timer", and it starts recording automatically as soon as I cross the Start/Finish line?

What about my question about setting the Direction in my POI's? Since I currently have my split POIs at corners/intersections, should I set the value for the Direction to be the compass reading heading into the corner, or the direction leaving? Or would it be better to move the POI's slightly away from the corners, where the direction isn't changing? Thanks.
Last edited by Cloud9...68 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Harry wrote:Start with standard operation (smartphone only) and add the H4 later. It is always better to trouble shoot one thing at a time :-)
That is definitely the plan ;)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Exactly. Prepare Race is not necessary in case you prepared everything before. When revisiting a track, you will go to Timer directly. A good practice is to touch the status gadget in the top of Timer View. It will check tons of vital status and display GPS and OBD devices connected currently.

POIs to add names to corners should be placed in corners. No direction required for these. Split triggers should be placed on straights - ahead of the braking point. This will improve comparability and accuracy.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Thanks for the tip to touch the status gadget - sounds like a valuable tool.

So it sounds like POIs in corners should be Information type, while those on the straights should be Triggers, correct?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes
Image Image Image Image
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Woo-hoo! Success! I just ran three blistering laps (average speed of 37.8 kph) around my Neighborhood "track", and Laptimer worked flawlessly. All the data that that is normally collected during my actual track sessions (map, charts, split times, virtual best lap, etc.) was collected on my custom track. Although, maybe I shouldn't be too excited, because I don't have any explanation as to why Laptimer didn't trigger during my last track session until the fifth try.

So, the next step is to figure out how to integrate my Hero4, and ultimately see if it's possible to overlay the video from the Gopro with the data, and play it all back on my ipad Mini. Do you think this is possible, or do I have to do the overlaying offline, using some sort of third party software? I know, I need to read the documentation; this is my next step.