Starting GoPro from Video View

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Starting GoPro from Video View

Post by gplracerx »

Why didn't my GoPro start when I started recording using the red button in the upper left hand corner of the video screen and stop when I touched the green button? The internal camera started, but the GoPro didn't start until the starting line was crossed and stopped at the finish line. Did I miss a configuration setting somewhere?

iPhone 4s iOS 8.4.1
HLT version 19.0.22 Grand Prix
GoPro Hero3
Last edited by gplracerx on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Starting GoPro from Video View

Post by Harry »

Is this behaviour reproducible? Did it occur more than once?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Harry wrote:Is this behaviour reproducible? Did it occur more than once?

- Harry
All four runs on Saturday and at least two of six on Sunday. On Saturday, I didn't get an initial stub lap that needed to be deleted from the lap list, but I did on all six runs on Sunday.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I will add this to the testing exercise for v20. This part needs a rework for the external cam only mode anyway.
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I've reviewed the videos. On Sunday, the GoPro started when video recording started, but stopped at the finish line with a single stub lap. I suspect that if everything had worked correctly, I would have had two stub laps, one at the beginning and one at the end. Saturday was complicated by the direction of the start line being off. It's possible that the behavior was the same on both days, but timing started on Saturday when I started the video and didn't get a start signal at the starting line, which was why I didn't get stub lap and the run timing was off.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

For tracks with a separate start and stop trigger, you should see an initial stub lap when starting video manually, but no stub lap for the end. The expected behavior when starting video manually and arriving at stop is the lap is finished, no new lap is started, and both internal cam and external cam continue until Cancel is pressed.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

That's what I thought would happen. Unfortunately, it didn't.
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

Harry wrote:For tracks with a separate start and stop trigger, you should see an initial stub lap when starting video manually, but no stub lap for the end. The expected behavior when starting video manually and arriving at stop is the lap is finished, no new lap is started, and both internal cam and external cam continue until Cancel is pressed.
Does v21.0.6 GP still work this way? I have an AX course with start and finish, external GoPro Hero 3+, and iPhone 6 internal cam. If I start video manually, HLT will start both external and internal cams and they will stay on past the finish until I turn them off, correct?

Deven
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

devenh wrote:
Harry wrote:For tracks with a separate start and stop trigger, you should see an initial stub lap when starting video manually, but no stub lap for the end. The expected behavior when starting video manually and arriving at stop is the lap is finished, no new lap is started, and both internal cam and external cam continue until Cancel is pressed.
Does v21.0.6 GP still work this way? I have an AX course with start and finish, external GoPro Hero 3+, and iPhone 6 internal cam. If I start video manually, HLT will start both external and internal cams and they will stay on past the finish until I turn them off, correct?

Deven
I think you have to set the finish to stop/go to keep the camera running. Then you have two stub laps. I've been playing with the RaceCapture/Track lately and that ties up Wi-Fi so I haven't used HLT to control a GoPro lately.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case the internal cam starts and the external does not, either the external cam is not selected at all (selection in Video Operations), or the connection has dropped since the connection has been made. You can spot things are fine when watching the small cam icon in the status gadget in the top of Timer. You should see regular activity (green / blue bubbles) after selecting one of the video modes utilizing an external cam.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image