Using Lap Timer Pro for autocross

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
red61
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Using Lap Timer Pro for autocross

Post by red61 »

Could someone please give me some advice on how to properly set up things on Harry's Lap Timer Pro for an autocorss course?

After calibrating, I go to the "Autocross" section of the Assistant screen. It asks me to define the start and finish of the course. Our autocrosses start from a standstill about 20 feet from the start timing light, so the car is going from a standstill and accelerating as it crosses through the starting light the starts the timing for the run. At the end of the course, about a mile long, is the finish timing lights that stop the timer (not the same location as the start, but close to it). After going through the fininsh timing lights, you slow down and come to a stop about 50 feet beyonf the timing lights.

I've tried using Lap Timer for autocross a couple of times but can seem to get the program to begin and stop correctly. Should I be defining the start and finish where the timing lights are located or where the car comes to a stop? Also, what type of trigger should I use for this? Any help would be much appreciated.
CivicSiRacer
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Still having issues with LT Pro

Post by CivicSiRacer »

Harry - wanted to thank you again for a great app but I still cannot get it to work right. This weekend we have our last two autocrosses of the season. Downloaded your app back in July. Worked great in manual mode but not so much in auto mode.

Today with the 14.3 update and an iPhone 3GS with iOS 5.0 I followed the instructions to set up start and stop points (much easier than before). Put my iPhone into my TomTom GPS accessory. App said go to staging and shows how far staging is. When I got to the start line it said press to "STAGE". Went to press it and nothing, then the light turned green and I didn't want to fool with it anymore and left the line. Glanced over and it was recording but then stopped about 1/2 way through the course. The start/finish line was probably 100-200 yards away.

So then I decided to try to manual record, saw the app was recording and just focused on the course. Got back and it only recorded about 30 seconds of the 60 second course.

Is there a way just to do everything manually instead of having to rely on gps points after the fact? I missed all my runs today and tried again with my co-driver with the same problems.

Want to at least get some of my runs tomorrow before I leave here at 6am EST (Pennsylvania).
CivicSiRacer
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Using Lap Timer Pro for autocross

Post by CivicSiRacer »

We have the same type setup here in PA.

I used the the area when the time starts and when the time stops. Didn't work for me; although the start/stop areas are 50-70 feet apart. Thought about making LT Pro start running as soon as I pull up to our traffic light and turn off when I get back in grid.

Waiting to hear back from Harry hopefully soon.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Especially when AXes are very tight in the start / finish area, special care has to be taken. From what I understand there are two options:
  1. You set a 'standing go' trigger in the stand still area ahead of start - not the starting line / light. The finish is done be a normal 'stop' trigger, placed on the finish line / at the finish timing lights. This is the setup you receive if you use the AX Assistant. Using this setup, you press the Staged button when standing in the stand still area ahead of the start line. LT will record from the stand still area, not the starting line. It will stop when crossing the finish line.
  2. You use a 'go' trigger (not 'stop/go') on, or behind the starting line. As LapTimer requires a continuous approach to go triggers, and the start from the stand still area is strongly influenced from 'jumping' GPS values, you may need to move the 'go' trigger a bit into the course. Using this setup, you will not press any button, time recording will certainly start at the go trigger, not the stand still area. The finish is the same as above.
Please make sure you do not have additional triggers around. Often, this is the reason LapTimer has problems with automatic timing.

- Harry

P.S. In case you have problems with the stop trigger: check if you can cure this by moving the trigger to the side of the 'track' that is further away from the starting area. This is what I meant with 'tight' tracks.
P.P.S. And please make sure you have excellent receiving conditions when setting the triggers.
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Still having issues with LT Pro

Post by Harry »

CivicSiRacer wrote:Glanced over and it was recording but then stopped about 1/2 way through the course. The start/finish line was probably 100-200 yards away.
Please check if you have other triggers on track disturbing the process.
CivicSiRacer wrote:So then I decided to try to manual record, saw the app was recording and just focused on the course. Got back and it only recorded about 30 seconds of the 60 second course.

Is there a way just to do everything manually instead of having to rely on gps points after the fact? I missed all my runs today and tried again with my co-driver with the same problems.
You need to remove your triggers when timing manually. Manual timing is done using the 'Go' and 'Stop' buttons.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
CivicSiRacer
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by CivicSiRacer »

WOOT I got it to work today (missed just 1 run out of 8). Did the overlays didn't have to fool with anything except the one screen that says "Press when staged" and kept trying to press it with no luck. Finally pressed the 'x' to close the screen then the "Staged" button came up.

BUT BUT now have another issue. Did the overlays on all 7 videos and went to watch them and no sound. What did I miss?

UPDATE: oops for some reason playing in DIVX no sound, I have sound in QuickTime ... weird.