cell phone service

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
cschacker
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

cell phone service

Post by cschacker »

Hi, does the App require a cellular connection, or could it be used effectively in 'airplane' mode, connecting periodically to the Internet over WiFi? I ask because I'm upgrading to a new iPhone, and I thought using my existing iPhone purely as a lap timer would be perfect, but of course I don't want to have to pay for service on two phones. My only concern with using my new iPhone is that I tend to crash my motorcycle on occasion, and I'd hate to trash a new phone in the process.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: cell phone service

Post by Harry »

You can use LapTimer without mobile data. You need to load your track set while in a WiFi, but recording works without. You can create a personal hotspot using your new phone and share the connection as an alternative.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
swbca3691
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by swbca3691 »

On the track its better not to have a Cell connection. I was on the Brainerd track 2 weeks ago using the Track Timer when my vehicle Bluetooth speaker phone started ringing. I pressed answer to make it stop. I never looked to see who called, but it must have been noisy with the all the windows open at 120 mph.

So I just bought a factory refurbished phone of the same type to use only for Harry's Track Timer. I used my active sim card to get the latest Android firmware update from ATT, then removed the SIM card and used WiFi to install the needed apps.
Last edited by swbca3691 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cschacker
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cschacker »

That is fantastic, thanks! I will be sure to purchase all of the extra goodies - GPS, mounts - through the links on your sight.

-Curt