Does Iphone need to record video as well with Gopro?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
dbruce12
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Does Iphone need to record video as well with Gopro?

Post by dbruce12 »

I have a new Gopro Hero4 Silver and assume if I was only going to use that as my primary video source that I would not need the iphone mounted in the car to record video as well? My main concern here is storage space on the phone. Does the iphone actually record video as well regardless if I am not using that view for the video and only the video from the Gopro? From what I have been reading it seems that is the case. Can anyone confirm?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does Iphone need to record video as well with Gopro?

Post by Harry »

In case you want to remote control the HERO using LapTimer GrandPrix, the internal video will be mandatory. This is planned to change with the next feature release.

Options for now are either to operate the HERO manually and run LapTimer in standard mode (no video), or switch the internal cam to SD and purge the video after each session.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
dbruce12
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by dbruce12 »

Harry wrote:In case you want to remote control the HERO using LapTimer GrandPrix, the internal video will be mandatory. This is planned to change with the next feature release.

Options for now are either to operate the HERO manually and run LapTimer in standard mode (no video), or switch the internal cam to SD and purge the video after each session.

Harry
If I set the iphone recording to SD that will not effect the Gopro recording quality right?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Resolution for the internal cam has its own setting named Internal Cam / Resolution.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
3WheelinBMW
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by 3WheelinBMW »

I am looking forward to the new release! My phone always overheats when using the internal camera, but I really want to be able to control my GoPro automatically. Whats the rough timeframe for the release?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, the cam burns a lot of energy. As a workaround, place it into a fan's air flow, that works pretty well.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

Harry wrote:Yes, the cam burns a lot of energy. As a workaround, place it into a fan's air flow, that works pretty well.

- Harry
Yea, mine sits in front of an A/C vent blowing just air while I'm on track. Haven't had an issue.
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

I have the same general question. I've got Lap Timer up and running using my ipad Mini, but I haven't been successful at capturing video on my Hero4 while using HLT. My ultimate goal is to run sessions at my local track (actually a driving academy), recording data and video on my Mini, then playing it back afterwards, possibly sharing it with other drivers and instructors to see where I have opportinities to go faster, then going out again putting into practice what I've learned. In other words, I want to produce something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDzFRvamRU

except with my set-up (the video above was caputred with the driver's iPhone's internal camera). In theory, my set-up gives the best opportunity to do what I'd like to achieve, because of the excellent video quality of the GoPro, and the nice-sized screen of the iPad Mini.

I understand that it's challenging, but what's the current best known method to achieve this with an ipad/Hero4 set-up? If there is a document that describes how to achieve this, please refer me to it. Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, please check the Video Documentation available on www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Thanks; I understand that to have Laptimer utilize a Hero4 instead of the smart phone or tablet's internal camera, I need to turn on wifi operation for the Hero4 (a little tricky, since the Hero4 and the ipad somehow seem to communicate through both bluetooth and wifi - not sure which one takes precedence over the other), enable multicam operation in Laptimer, and select the Hero4 as the external cam type in Laptimer. Then Step 9 explains that unlike the Hero4, which can be woken up by wifi, the Hero4 needs to be turned on manually. I assume by this you mean to just turn on the camera's power button - Laptimer activate the video recording of the Hero4 when I cross the start/finish line, correct? I assume so, because there is a message on the video view of Laptimer that indicates that video recording will start when the start/finish line is crossed. But the last time I tried it, Laptimer utilized the ipad Mini's internal camera, rather than the Hero4, which just gave me a nice view of the front of my dash. But I think the mistake I made was that I left the GoPro App on, which could have created a conflict.

So, if everything is working properly, and there are no conflicts, will Laptimer start recording video with the Hero4 when it starts recording data? Thanks.