Beginner's questions

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Beginner's questions

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Hello,

I just downloaded HLT Petrolhead, and am anxious to get started, but I have a few questions. My grand vision is to run everything through my iPad Mini, which I've mounted inside my Porsche 968 using a RAM Mount that leaves it within easy reach, even when belted in. I've like to use my GoPro Hero4, which I have mounted to the roll bar, for the video, and I plan to buy a Dual XGFS160 for the GPS.

But I'm practically at square 1. I'm trying to figure out how to use the HLT app to drive my GoPro, following this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgKrXe0rQT0

but I'm stuck. I turned on my GoPro's wifi, and turned on the GoPro network on my iPad. So far, so good. But in the next step in the video, Harry simply turns on the Lap Timer app, and like magic, it turns on the GoPro. Then he selects the video view, and the camera begins recording.

This is not the way it works when I try it. When I turn on the HLT app, it brings up a screen with four choices (Prepare Race, Race, Analysis, and Administration). I've already defined myself as the user and selected my track, so I assume I need to select the "Race" option, which brings up four more options (Timer, Speedo, Classic, and Racer's). So, I select Timer, which brings up a screen that resembles the one in the video, but it doesn't turn on the camera, as it does in the video. I tried pressing the Start betton on the "Classic" screen, but that doesn't work either.

What am I missing? Also, I've spent a lot of time searching, and I haven't been able to find anything resembling a "HLT 101" tutorial, other than the Quick Start video Harry put out. Does such a thing exist? It would be exceedingly helpful for people like me who aren't terribly knowledgeable about mobile devices. Although in my defense, I had my very tech savvy 18-year-old try to help me, and she couln't figure it out, either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beginner's questions

Post by Harry »

Hi,

It is fine to start with Race in case you have done basic definitions and loaded track sets you plan to race before. Usually LapTimer records time and data only (select Timer e.g.). In case you want to get video in addition, press the Video button in Timer View and finish the screen using "Record Auto". This will keep video active in background and have it started once you cross the start/finish. All of this is about recording with the internal cam and when using Petrolhead.

The enhanced functions to remote control external cams like the HERO4 is enabled in LapTimer's GrandPrix Edition only. When using it, and when having external cams enabled in LapTimer's Settings, you will get the scenario shown in the technology demo vid above. Detailed instructions can be found in LapTimer's Video Documentation.

In case you do not want to upgrade to GP, the alternative is to record laps and data in standard mode using LapTimer and record session videos with the HERO4 manually (i.e. start and stop in the pits). You can add the video to your laps later (which is done automatically with GP) and overlay data to the video as usual. Instructions for this scenario are included in the above document too.

Last item: please make sure you have an iPad mini with mobile option. In case you have a WiFi only version, it has no GPS chip built in and cannot be used on track. Locations derived from wireless networks (this is the method used for non GPS devices) is by far too inaccurate to be used. A XGPS160 will add this function in case it is missing.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Ah, so I need the Grand Prix edition to use my GoPro - that explains it. OK, I'll download it, and give it a try, but it will be a few days before I'm able to do so. I'll post again if I have any problems. Thanks for the quick answer.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, for automatic operation. But you can add it manually and use Petrolhead too. Please take care you upgrade to GrandPrix (which is in LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Add-ons ‣ GrandPrix Upgrade) and don't download the full app from AppStore.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dbruce12
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by dbruce12 »

Just bought a Gopro Hero 4 Silver and have the Grand Prix edition of the lap timer. Do I need to have my Iphone mounted in my vehicle for a certain position? Or can I just have it in my pocket etc or will the diagnositcs not read properly if not mounted?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, you need to place the phone into the windscreen as shown in illustrations 3 and 4 of LapTimer's Quick Reference. Otherwise you will not get accurate GPS and most probably no recordings at all. The GoPro can be placed everywhere - even outside.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

The following questions may be premature, as I haven't even received my XGPS160 yet, but I'm such a newbie with this stuff (although I am trainable :D ) that I want to be ready to hit the ground running when I do my next track session, hopefully on 9/10. Here goes:

1. I read through the 18-page thread on the XGPS160, and nowhere in the thread does it explain exactly how to run it through HLT, which I take as meaning that it's so simple that no explanation is needed. Are there any special steps needed to run the XGPS160 through HLT that I need to be aware of? Is it just plug-and-play?

2. Are there any issues "syncing" (not sure that's the right term in this context) the Hero4 and the XGPS160 with HLT, all running off my iPad Mini 2, or does everything work in harmony right out of the box?

3. There's a lot of discussion in the XGPS160 thread about updating the XGPS160 firmware, but the posts discussing this are quite old. Is this still an issue?

4. What is the preferred version of iOS for my iPad Min 2 to do what I want to do? I believe I have iOS 7, but I don't have access to it at the moment to confirm.

5. I saw some discussion about mounting the XGPS160 - what's the preferred method? My car is a mostly-track Porsche 968 (thus my screen name), which I drive on road courses, mostly Driveway Austin here in Austin, TX, although I have an all-day session planned at COTA in the Fall. Driveway Austin is a very technical track, with a steep downhill that's a mirror image of the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca, so there are serious g-forces in all axes. The Hero4 is securely mounted to my roll bar ;).

I'm sure it will make sense once I start using everything, and that I'll also have a ton of new questions, but hopefully getting the above sorted out will get me started. Thanks very much in advance.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

1. Pair the XGPS160 with your phone / pad as described in Dual's instructions. LapTimer will recognize and use it automatically.
2. LapTimer comes with a standard synchronisation based on some heuristics. You may need to adjust Overlay Synchronisation / Video by 0.5 seconds, but this needs to wait until you have recorded something.
3. Not to my knowledge.
4. Always the latest available. LapTimer requires 7.1 or later currently, this will go up to 8.4 sometimes next year (meaning older devices receive no updates any more).
5. You can use the rubber case included, depending on your dashboard's material it will be good for 1.5G. In case it isn't, use some tape or adhesive stripes.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Thanks, harry. Hopefully it will all work smoothly. As far as the mounting of the XGPS160, I suppose I could always screw or glue a piece of aluminum to the dash (it's a track car, so aesthetics aren't too important), and attach the XGPS160 to it.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I forgot to say: for the beginner, it makes sense to test the system ahead of the track day. It is easy to create a "track" around you block - just use the New Track assistant available from Prepare Race.

Harry
Image Image Image Image