Downloading "Charts' information

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
davesen
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Downloading "Charts' information

Post by davesen »

I have searched a bit and cannot find the answer. Is there any way to download the "Charts" information to a PC?

These graphs with the track superimposed are quite nice, but very difficult to use on the phone screen.

I am able to download the .csv data, and graph myself, but it does not include the track overlay.

Any help appreciated!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Downloading "Charts' information

Post by Harry »

You may try exporting your laps to .vbo and analyze it in Racelogic's Circuit Tools 2. Btw. when selecting any format in LapTimer's Export view, you will get a description what it is good for and which programs can process it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

My major gripe with Circuit Tools 2 is that it throws out the accelerometer data and GPS speed and calculates acceleration from GPS fixes. Or at least it did the last time I checked. You can do better than that with GPS speed and heading. I can sort of understand that when using a VBOX Sport as the data logger, the acceleration data is already calculated, not measured.

"These graphs with the track superimposed are quite nice, but very difficult to use on the phone screen."

They look a lot better on a tablet.
katmeho
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by katmeho »

gplracerx wrote:My major gripe with Circuit Tools 2 is that it throws out the accelerometer data and GPS speed and calculates acceleration from GPS fixes. Or at least it did the last time I checked. You can do better than that with GPS speed and heading. I can sort of understand that when using a VBOX Sport as the data logger, the acceleration data is already calculated, not measured.

"These graphs with the track superimposed are quite nice, but very difficult to use on the phone screen."

They look a lot better on a tablet.
So does that mean that the Racelogic stuff is less accurate than Harrys on an iPhone? I thought their solutions are more accurate as they are measuring the GPS data more frequently?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I thought their solutions are more accurate as they are measuring the GPS data more frequently?
Harry's measures at close to whatever frequency your GPS will support. If you have a VBOX Sport, you get the same 20Hz you get with Circuit Tools. The difference is that Harry's uses the internal accelerometer in the phone for lateral and lineal acceleration rather than differentiating the position data twice like Circuit Tools. GPS data are noisy to start with. Numerical differentiation of a time series is always more noisy than the data. Differentiating twice is more than twice as noisy. Circuit Tools smooths the acceleration data to make it look better, but unless you're careful, you can over smooth the data and lose information.

The best of all possible worlds would be to use all of the GPS, accelerometer, magnetometer and gyro data to calculate position, speed, acceleration and orientation. It's called sensor fusion and, if done right, is better than GPS or accelerometer data alone. Unfortunately, I don't know of any freeware or even reasonably priced software that will do that. DIY drones use sensor fusion using an Arduino board for flight control, but don't log the data. My guess is that writing the data to an SD card is just too slow.

If you're made of money, you could buy a Racelogic VBox 3i and IMU. That will give you true sensor fusion.
katmeho
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by katmeho »

Very helpful, I appreciate you taking the time to make it clearer for me.