OBD sensor not receiving data at expected rate.

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

OBD sensor not receiving data at expected rate.

Post by froggy47 »

Or words close to that. I tried 4 different OBD sensors & this one "seemed" to work best, but today I got the yellow warning, should I buy a few more? Seems like a total crap shoot to find one that HLT will work with. This for Motox X phone/android.

Thanks if anyone can help with a specific brand/vendor that works. I did read the OBD help, but it wasn't much (help).

Is it ok to run this setup with the OBD in the yellow?
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Moto X/android, Dual 160, generic OBD2
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBD sensor not receiving data at expected rate.

Post by Harry »

As long as the rate is not zero, communication is probably working. Update rates are depending a bit on the dongle, but mostly on your car's bus. Which brand / model / year is it?

Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:As long as the rate is not zero, communication is probably working. Update rates are depending a bit on the dongle, but mostly on your car's bus. Which brand / model / year is it?

Harry
2004 Chevrolet Corvette z06.

Thanks
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It seems the CAN bus has been introduced for 2005 Z06 models, so your 2005 Z06 runs one of the slower protocols. However, you should be able to get 2 Hz with most dongles, not below. Can you please describe of the OBD regularly disconnects (i.e. drops to 0 Hz) and raises again? Please feel free to send a trace log to me for analysis: http://www.laptimer-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1500

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:It seems the CAN bus has been introduced for 2005 Z06 models, so your 2005 Z06 runs one of the slower protocols. However, you should be able to get 2 Hz with most dongles, not below. Can you please describe of the OBD regularly disconnects (i.e. drops to 0 Hz) and raises again? Please feel free to send a trace log to me for analysis: http://www.laptimer-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1500

- Harry

I tested yesterday, laid out an approximate 60 sec "autox" course, which was just streets in my neighborhood. Ran 3 laps & working ok except for yellow obd warning and the "hard brake required" warning. Took some time in between runs as would be similar to real event. Seemed good all 3 could be overlayed & had data.

It could be that my problem is remembering all the various battery saver interruptions that I have to shut off before using HLT.

Battery saver mode

Screen security lock timer

These are the main two, I don't know what to expect if a call comes in when I am recording a lap?

Thanks for your patient help.

:)
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Calls will interrupt LapTimer operation. For serious laps, I recommend to forward them to your box. Despite slow car busses, drops in connection due to compatibility issues and disturbing other wireless connections are the usual reasons for low rates.

Harry
Image Image Image Image