Beginners help

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
fast_eddie
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Beginners help

Post by fast_eddie »

So as far as I understand.

1) From More / Add-ons I find the right track set I am going to use.

2) Under classic view, spanner icon, I set the event

3) Then just go go go???

From the documentation it seems I don't even need to press anything when I start? The first trigger of the track will start the timer.

Is the above correct??

Do I need to press stop at the end, ie how does it know i have finished??

Many thanks.
Ed
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beginners help

Post by Harry »

Hi Ed,

You can even skip step #2. As soon as LapTimer detects any trigger, it switches over to the correct track. Starting the timer is done automatically, same is true for the finish line. Just check the Help (Quick Reference) within the app for some more information.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dr nick
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by dr nick »

Just from my point of view, I would prefer if the software made you do step 2.

A few of my tracks overlap, and I find myself having to delete Start/Finish icons and later replace them if they run near another track. I wish once you selected a track, it would ignore all POI's not associated with that particular track.

Anyway aside from that minor issue, this is my favourite app on my phone. Well done Harry.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, this are the two options...

The downside of the 'let the user select option' is that LapTimer probably sits around doing nothing when this setting is ignored and not set (most users do not fiddle around with the event settings). So the 'best' solution is probably to let the user select which he / she wants to use in case of conflicts and trigger whatever it finds as long as no conflicts are around...

The route implemented in v14 is to ask the user whether he / she wants to purge configurations conflicting when a new configuration is downloaded. So in v14 you switch by downloading the configuration you currently need from Add-ons, existing configurations are purged. That should be a good approach - at least as long as you have a net available :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dr nick
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by dr nick »

I guess if the user didn't want to configure which track they were using every time, then the POI's not associated with any track could always be triggered when passed, and the user could later assign the lap time to a specific track.

For instance if I passed a non-assigned "GO" and then later passed a non-assigned "STOP", it would require you to later enter the laptime on the correct track. I'm not sure how feasible this is though, given the app's ability to see other peoples time on the same track - I don't use that particular feature.

I'm not 100% sure if the route taken by v14 would eliminate the problem with my manually entered, overlapping tracks. Will wait and see. Thanks for all the software updates btw.