GoPro as main video, iPhone as over lay info only

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
daz00004
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GoPro as main video, iPhone as over lay info only

Post by daz00004 »

Having massive storage issues when using my iPhone camera and HLT app, only getting through 1/4 of the day before having to start deleting videos (and ive taken all that i can off the phone), so want to buy a GoPro and use this as the main video and use the iPhone 5C as the overlay info ONLY, im using no other devices (ie no external GPS or car info etc). Is this possible and if so how?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoPro as main video, iPhone as over lay info only

Post by Harry »

[Please use Troubleshooting for troubleshooting, moved the topic to Using LapTimer]

Yes, that's well possible. Please keep in mind you will need to transfer GoPro footage to the 5C to overlay it, so at least the space for one session (plus overlaid) video needs to be available on the 5C. For further information on the GoPro integration, please check out http://www.gps-laptimer.com/LapTimerDoc ... hapter.pdf

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
daz00004
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by daz00004 »

Thanks Harry.

Ok, I've read the document, so if i buy a Hero3+ Black and upgrade to the GP version this is what i think i have to do/can do (i only want the GoPro footage, no iPhone video):

1) Link Hero to iPhone
2) Start app, this will turn go pro on
3) Don't hit the record button or video button
4) Drive over start line, gopr should auto record and iPhone won't
5) After event, sort video off go pro, add to iPhone, add to lap in app etc

Think I've got it right.

PS sorry for posting in the wrong section.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Currently, the iPhone needs to record video in addition to make the whole video recording part (including GoPro) working. However, you can switch the internal cam's resolution to SD - which does not require a lot of memory. Furthermore you can remove the video after each session if necessary. The process is somewhat different:

1) Turn on the HERO's wifi module
2) Connect your iPhone to this wifi
3) Start LapTimer, enable all MultiCam stuff, switch to Video View
4) Drive

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
daz00004
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by daz00004 »

Hi Harry

Thanks for the reply.

Cool, that works for me, i'll just delete after each session. Im guessing i could change it to front cam as I'm guessing that would be take even less memory?
daz00004
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by daz00004 »

Also just noticed the new GoPro app (iPhone) lets you transfer videos from your GoPro directly to your iPhone, if so this could by pass the PC/MAC/iTunes stage :o)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, but they have not yet published how to initiate this transfer. Once I get my hands on this, I will try to add that feature. I have not checked the app lately, but in case it can transfer footage from the GoPro to the Photo library, you can use this option plus the Re-Link function in LapTimer to associate the dangling link with the video transferred.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
llan981
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by llan981 »

I personally have a GOPRO BE 3+ w/64G RAM and iPhone 5 16G with about 4G available. It took me awhile to figure it out but here is my recommendation:

1. Iphone as primary camera at 720P as your ultimate secondary picture for me pointed to the dash and steering wheel while on track using HLT GP
2. The GoPro at 1080p 30fps as the primary picture point using Harry's multiCAM app

After the video's are shot:
1. Use iFUNBox to move the video from GoPro 'as-is" from the GoPro to the iPhone (both USB connected to a computer) put the gopro video into the iPhone HLT applications 'documents folder'
2. Go into your HLT application on your iPhone, then find the lap you want, and "RELINK" the video you just imported into the video lap and say all laps. Note the Video documentation talks about using VLC software but RELINK is best and easiest.
3. Then you can go into "edit mode" in the lap and re-prioritize which is main picture or pic in pic by drag and dropping the video

Other considerations:
I was at 2 track events and was doing above and still had memory issues with iPhone and life of battery in general. Apple just reduced the cost of Apple IPOD touch to $199 for 64GB. I finally went the route of iPhone Touch 5th Gen and a Dual Electronics GPS160 as IPOD touch does not have a real GPS unit within.

Finally look at some of my posts LLAN981 as it appears you will be on the same journey I was on about 1-3 months ago.
daz00004
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by daz00004 »

Thanks both for the replies, they really helpful.
I've got the Hero 3+ Black and a couple of 64GB cards, did a few runs around the block last night and I'm impressed.
I don’t really need picture in picture, so my plan is to use the iPhone in lowest video setting and delete the videos during the track day, then when home I can import the 1st sessions GoPro raw videos one at a time, overlay and sort and then export to my mac, then import the next raw gopro session etc..
One issue I did have is getting the vidoes from the gopro to the iphone, started off using the iphone gopro app, it works but takes ages!! Then I tired importing the videos from the gopro to the mac, then via itunes importing the video onto the iphone. Might look at iFUNBox, that might be easier than itunes for the one video at a time option.
Only thing that I can think of as maybe being a bad point on this plan is I assume I will have to use the sound from the gopro not the iphone? If so might have to look at an external mic for the gopro (cable route wont be great :o(), not sure what it’s like with wind noise?

Also do you recommend 30fps over 60fps? I'm thinking of using 1080p and superview.

Cheers
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

The sound will always be from the main video, you can't use sound and video from different sources (yet).
Don't know about the quality difference...but 60 fps will definetely take more time to overlay (if supported, never tried 60fps material in HLT).