Start line = finish line for autox settings?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Start line = finish line for autox settings?

Post by froggy47 »

If I set the start/finish line exactly the same (or say within 1 meter or 2) for testing purposes (the end of my cul-de-sac) will HLT know to keep them in correct order or will start and finish trigger simultaneously and result in a zero second lap?

Thanks.

:)
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Moto X/android, Dual 160, generic OBD2
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Start line = finish line for autox settings?

Post by Harry »

LapTimer should start and stop correctly but will not stop and start the next lap immediately. Background: when LapTimer is not recording, it ignores stop triggers. When it is recording, it ignores go triggers. So when approaching the pair not recording, it will trigger a lap start and stop the next time you cross the pair. As LapTimer will pause a few seconds after each trigger detection, it will not trigger the go once the lap has been stopped.

In case you want the behavior known from "closed" tracks (combined start/finish line), use the New Track instead of the New AX assistant. It will create a combined stop/go trigger.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:LapTimer should start and stop correctly but will not stop and start the next lap immediately. Background: when LapTimer is not recording, it ignores stop triggers. When it is recording, it ignores go triggers. So when approaching the pair not recording, it will trigger a lap start and stop the next time you cross the pair. As LapTimer will pause a few seconds after each trigger detection, it will not trigger the go once the lap has been stopped.

In case you want the behavior known from "closed" tracks (combined start/finish line), use the New Track instead of the New AX assistant. It will create a combined stop/go trigger.

- Harry

So if some time passes between runs (as is typical in autox) say from 30 sec to as much as 5 min or more, it will work ok?

But new track is probably better?

Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, that should be fine. I'd recommend to test it ahead of your event.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:Yes, that should be fine. I'd recommend to test it ahead of your event.

- Harry

Exactly, testing in the neighborhood (slow).

One more question, if I use new track scenario, how close does the gps have to be to the "start/finish" trigger? For example I set it while the car is on the north side of a two lane & return on the south side of the same road, so when I come back (finish) my gps is maybe 5-10 meters DIFFERENT.

Is it possible I miss the finish trigger?

Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Once the trigger is set, you can view it in the Map View. Here, you can drag it e.g. to the center between the two lanes.
LapTimer uses a certain corridor for trigger detection. For triggers without a driving direction defined, the standard is 15 meters plus GPS accuracy. So mostly you will hit the trigger, but it is better to adjust it a bit.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:Once the trigger is set, you can view it in the Map View. Here, you can drag it e.g. to the center between the two lanes.
LapTimer uses a certain corridor for trigger detection. For triggers without a driving direction defined, the standard is 15 meters plus GPS accuracy. So mostly you will hit the trigger, but it is better to adjust it a bit.

- Harry
Excellent.
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Harry wrote:Once the trigger is set, you can view it in the Map View. Here, you can drag it e.g. to the center between the two lanes.

- Harry
Even with a direction defined you can run into trouble if you get too close to the finish going in the same direction while still on course. I had to move the coordinates of the finish line at a recent autocross about 5 meters from the actual finish so it wouldn't trigger while I was on the course. It still worked fine at the actual finish. This is why you test during a walk through. You may have to go into Expert Settings and set the Allow Low Speeds switch on in Trigger Settings for testing at a walking pace.
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

gplracerx wrote:

- Harry
Even with a direction defined you can run into trouble if you get too close to the finish going in the same direction while still on course. I had to move the coordinates of the finish line at a recent autocross about 5 meters from the actual finish so it wouldn't trigger while I was on the course. It still worked fine at the actual finish. This is why you test during a walk through. You may have to go into Expert Settings and set the Allow Low Speeds switch on in Trigger Settings for testing at a walking pace.

Thanks!
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06