motorbike lean angle use

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
lightspeedR6
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

motorbike lean angle use

Post by lightspeedR6 »

I have an iPhone 5c and Emprum GPS. Petrolhead Ed. v18.0

I can't find in the program or in this forum how to use/see the lean angle? I've not been prompted to calibrate lineal accel. and would like to see this data. I get the impression that it is only an overlay on a video? However, for a moment that cannot be repeated I thought that I saw some lean type of icons on the bottom of a screen.

finally, I read in this search you stating that for the best motorbike lineal acceleration accuracy to have the phone as vertical as possible and not flat, can this be in both portrait and landscape mode? Can one lock a screen in one of these modes as I prefer the Timer view in Port. but need to mount in Land.?

This is such a wonderful app, super job Harry! Every time I get to the track at least 2 "neighbors" want to know how to get one!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: motorbike lean angle use

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Lean angle is displayed in overlays only. Lateral acceleration, which translates 1 G = 45 degree lean is available in several places, so the general dimension for analysis is available in many places. Please note lateral acceleration for motorbikes is calculated from GPS currently, and not measured. To trigger calculation, please use the Calculate button in Lap Details. In case you don't do this, LapTimer will prompt you during video overlaying.

For measured lineal acceleration, both landscape and portrait is fine. Orientation can be locked using iOS standard display lock function, but this will screw up LapTimer's acceleration calibration process (including lineal acceleration). The lock setting is available by swiping from the bottom (outside of the screen) upwards.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
lightspeedR6
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by lightspeedR6 »

Harry wrote:Hi,

Lean angle is displayed in overlays only. Lateral acceleration, which translates 1 G = 45 degree lean is available in several places, so the general dimension for analysis is available in many places. Please note lateral acceleration for motorbikes is calculated from GPS currently, and not measured. To trigger calculation, please use the Calculate button in Lap Details. In case you don't do this, LapTimer will prompt you during video overlaying.

For measured lineal acceleration, both landscape and portrait is fine. Orientation can be locked using iOS standard display lock function, but this will screw up LapTimer's acceleration calibration process (including lineal acceleration). The lock setting is available by swiping from the bottom (outside of the screen) upwards.

- Harry
Thanks so much for the lightning fast reply! It seems that GPS acquired lateral acceleration would be iffy at best regarding accuracy, we are talking minimal elevation/lean changes (for a GPS). However, the numbers look reasonable.

When I select "Recalculate" and "Acceleration" it says "current data contains "measured" lateral and lineal accel. forces. are you sure you want to override these with calculated values?" Key word here in "measure" but it is in " " marks......

BTW - I do not use video features.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, it is measured. But measured lateral acceleration on a motorbike is near zero all the time. You are save to agree to override them...
Image Image Image Image
markchristenson
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by markchristenson »

Adding to this, I successfully did the recalculation so that the icon of the motorbike leans, but it doesn't actually show the angle. Is this information available anywhere else? Specifically I'm looking to see what the maximum lean angle is in each direction at various points.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Mark,

The lean angle is available in the video overlay only. For all other views, lateral acceleration 1.0 G mean 45 degree lean and needs to be interpreted. Maybe it makes sense to switch the lateral acceleration chart to a lean angle chart when a motorbike is selected...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
markchristenson
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't ask my question very well (or else I can't see what I'm looking for!)--in the overlay does it specify the actual lean angle (e.g., 46%) or is it just the icon of the biker that leans back and forth? And was your comment "Maybe it makes sense to switch the lateral acceleration chart to a lean angle chart when a motorbike is selected..." relating to existing functionality, or were you simply thinking out loud about future functionality?

Cheers,

Mark
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The lean angle shown for the biker in the video overlay is directly derived from the (calculated) lateral acceleration. So it is no gimmick. Even the yellow / red areas are dynamically adjusted to the G thresholds you can define for lateral acceleration in LapTimer's Settings. The reason you do not see exact values here, is I do not want to create the impression this calculated lateral acceleration is super accurate.

On the last question, yes, that was loud thinking for an upcoming version. I get of lot of ideas from this forum. :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
markchristenson
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Okay, thanks for clearing it up. I understand that it isn't as precise as one of the purpose-built bits of kit that some racers use, but was hoping for a general figure. Now that I have learned from you that 1.0 G is 45%, perhaps I will set the lateral acceleration thresholds for that to see if I get close when watching the overlay :-)

Mark
Qomomoko
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Qomomoko »

For lean angle and prompted to do the "Calculation " for motorbikes, is that then done automatically for all laps selected for overlay? or for each lap?

Then in lap detail and doing the "Calculation" for lean angle, is that also done just for that lap or for the session or for the track day?

Similarly for the other options available in Lap details, are those done for just the current lap of lap details or is it done for the session .. etc.

Thanks you.