On road use (i.e. non-track)

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
glospete
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

On road use (i.e. non-track)

Post by glospete »

Please excuse this newbie but I cannot find an answer to my question. I have the following items:
  • Harry's LapTimer Grand Prix app
    Multi-Cam app
    iPhone 5
    GoPro Hero3+ BE
    Dual XGPS receiver
    iMac
What I want to do is use LapTimer as a dash cam, recording a track (not iPhone video) as I drive along ordinary roads (with accurate GPS) and then link the track with the video taken by the GoPro. I'm happy to purchase a program for my Mac to link the track (from LapTimer) to the video from the GoPro. But is there a simple step by step instruction and what external program should I buy for my Mac? Any help will be much appreciated!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: On road use (i.e. non-track)

Post by Harry »

Video overlayers are in the Windows PC domain. But why don't you use LapTimer standards and use manual recording instead of automated (track set) recording. You can start / stop recording in LapTimer's video view. Select a low resolution for the iPhone's internal cam as you will not use this part anyway (can't be turned off completely). The full documentation on using LapTimer with a HERO MultiCam ist available here: http://www.gps-laptimer.com/LapTimerDoc ... hapter.pdf It includes step by step descriptions.

Please take care you don't record too big "laps". LapTimer is designed for typical tracks which range somewhere between 2 and 10 minutes per lap. Although LapTimer be able to cope with longer clips, the longer the laps get, the higher probability is you will run into problems. Finally, the HERO will split videos once they are bigger than 2 GB - which is difficult to handle too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
johced1974
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by johced1974 »

Hi.

You wrote "You can start / stop recording in LapTimer's video view.". Where is that on the Android app?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Two options (same for iOS and Android):
  • Race ‣ Timer ‣ Video ‣ enable internal cam ‣ Preview ‣ small red button
or
  • Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Manual Timing ‣ ON (one time action)
    Race ‣ Timer ‣ Video ‣ enable internal cam ‣ close ‣ Start
- Harry
Image Image Image Image