GPS readings.

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: GPS readings.

Post by ckowalc »

Sent the log file. Hopefully I did it right. I picked the GPS trace class then selected Logfile, then went and recorded 10 seconds stopped the recording then sent the logfile. I hope that gave you what you need. Lap List data from when I was logging says 5 Hz ; 10.18 sec and 46 fixes.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Thanks for sending the log. The problem seems to be the phone cannot keep up with processing the incoming fixes. This makes LapTimer skip fixes to allow the system to remain responsive. Actually this is unexpected for a Galaxy S3. I'm using this device for testing regularly but haven't discovered the behavior even for a 25 Hz GPS... In case you use the helper, a different strategy is used to process data (no load balancing) - which yields the higher rate.

Although you have the option to simply use the helper for now, I'd recommend to check system load: what does the small system load gauge in the bottom right is saying? Is it showing a gauge with the hand on its left or does it indicate higher load? Maybe it is best to post a snapshot of GPS View... Does LapTimer behave "snappy" or does it lag a lot when going through the user interface?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ckowalc »

When not recording it seems like the bar kind of bounces between low and medium and when recording it holds at medium load. Here is a snapshot while it was at medium not recording. I removed the lat. and long. from the snapshot.

User interface seems like it responds normally. Definitely nothing takes more than 1/2 second to load when switching between screens. I did get the phone from a friend and it does have a lot of apps on it. None are "running" and I keep it in airplane mode with WiFi off when possible but I wonder how many apps are running in the background or something?

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

GPS readings.

Post by Harry »

It is o.k. to have the gauge coming up shortly when switching the view. Afterwards, it should go down to zero. Otherwise, there is something wrong. Try a restart of the phone, try it with Airplane mode off (I.e. regular). Make sure you have turned off logging again. In case you have no laps recorded yet, uninstall and reinstall the app and upgrades. In case you have laps already, export them to .hlptrl first so you can import them to a new installation later.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ckowalc »

So just an update to this, after doing two track days. I figured out for some reason when using the helper app (and getting 10 Hz) it would sometimes not trigger on POIs even after switching to the "wide" detection range setting. Looking at the map, the GPS data is very accurate and right on top of the POIs but still they did not trigger. I switched back to using the Qstarz directly (w/o the helper app) and it picked up triggers without an issue but still only get 4-5 Hz.

I will switch to a different phone soon and I'll see if I get the full 10 Hz.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The most reason version got some improvements for Qstarz integration. Can you please check if update rate is still 5 instead of 10?

Harry
Image Image Image Image
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ckowalc »

Just to update this thread in case someone searches, I switched to a Motorola Droid Razr M that was factory reset and I got rid of all the apps I could. HLT now sees a lot less load on the load meter and I am getting the full 10 Hz of GPS data.

So, it seems the fix for me was to get rid of all the useless apps and whatnot.