Cellular Data

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
andrew
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Cellular Data

Post by andrew »

If you turn off cellular data (say I am driving on a track in a different country and I don't want roaming charges), what features do I lose?
Is it safe to assume LapTimer will work fine in general?

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cellular Data

Post by Harry »

LapTimer will work fine in general. You will be limited in the following areas:
  • First GPS acquisition will take longer
  • You will not be able to report your position / times on track, nor will you be able to watch others (Online View)
  • You cannot download track sets (Add-ons View) and need to do this ahead of track day - or define your own
  • The Map View will not work
Everything else should be fine.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
auschen
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by auschen »

Hi Harry,

Can you give a quick step-by-step process on how to pre-load the track properly?

I have just came back from Laguna Seca and your app worked awesome, so I do have some experience with HLP. I have an iPhone 4 and Ultimate GPS attached (although I did have good cellular signal) just to test everything out. Much like the original poster, I do plan on using the laptimer pro overseas (on the 'ring if you're wondering :D), and I do not want to get charged for roaming charges.

Since I will have the Ultimate GPS, I should still be able to retain all the features, correct?

Thank you in advance.

~austen
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Two areas mixed:

GPS allows retrieving your position on track, this simply receiving positions from some satellites, and will work worldwide without charge. The Emprum Ultimate is simply a replacement for the the iPhone's internal GPS and is not related to cellular data at all.
Cellular data (as discussed here) means sending and receiving data from your iPhone to any server in the net (Internet). This requires a mobile provider, and will be charged thus generating costs. Cellular data is used by a list of functions within LapTimer - see my post above.

In case you don't want to generate high roaming costs in Germany, turn off data roaming in your iPhone's Settings. It is off by default anyway.

Finally, please load the Nordschleife BTG (or other configuration) track set ahead of flying to German, loading track sets requires Internet access.

Hope that clarifies.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Harry wrote:LapTimer will work fine in general. You will be limited in the following areas:
  • First GPS acquisition will take longer
  • You will be able to report your position / times on track, nor will you be able to watch others (Online View)
  • You cannot download track sets (Add-ons View) and need to do this ahead of track day - or define your own
  • The Map View will not work
Everything else should be fine.

- Harry
Harry, should that be:
You will not be able to report your position / times on track, nor will you be able to watch others (Online View)

Regards
H
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Absolutely, will edit the original post. Thx
Image Image Image Image
auschen
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by auschen »

Thank you for clarifying, Harry.
I just used HLT last weekend at Thunderhill and it was great. You're too awesome.