Use questions - iphone video

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
shadowpuck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Use questions - iphone video

Post by shadowpuck »

Hello all.
I've used Harry's laptimer for a while now to record my laps. I've always then manually linked the video from an older gopro camera to the data from laptimer.

This upcoming season, I'm going to switch to using my iphone 4s (or maybe a 5c or 5s) to record the video so the lap data sync process is easier to handle.

At the events I participate in, we can have data/telemetry but any lap timing data cannot be visible to the driver in real time.

I'm pretty sure I can accomplish this in laptimer while using the video mode - however, i've never done it before so i'd like some confirmation on what i can do. i have no need to look at any data from laptimer real time, so i'm guessing i can just tell it to background record and then show the view for gps or something like that - which is what i've done in the past - just without video.

second question - what's the easiest way to get the video off of my iphone so i have room to record more?
i'd like to overlay the laps, then pull all the video from that session off the phone so i have storage space available for the next recording session. i would then (at a later date/time) resync the overlaid lap videos for selected laps using the standard process inside laptimer.

thank you!
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Use questions - iphone video

Post by bulls23 »

Background video recording while in GPS view will work fine just like you described.
The easiest / fastest way to get your videos off the phone will be through a Mac / PC that you bring along I guess. Either overlay the videos after your session (if you habe enough time for the overlaying) and then download them off the camera roll or simply move the raw videos from HLT to the camera roll and download them. Either way, you will be able to put back your videos on the phone via iTunes and the photos sync tab (remember to include videos option).
shadowpuck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by shadowpuck »

thank you for the response - i just wanted someone else to make sure i was thinking this through correctly.
the biggest problem for me then will be having an itunes equipped device (like a laptop) available at the track.
i had believe this would be an issue - i sync itunes on one of my pc's at home - not a laptop.

i could do this, i think:
move raw video of the session to the camera roll
transfer that video file to a laptop or other device by using the iphone as a flash drive
at a later time, i could sync the laps with HLT by transferring the video back to the phone

seems like a lot of back and forth, but still worth it to have the data/video sync perfect instead of trying to do it manually!

am i making this too complicated or do i have it right?

thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Personally, I have never found the time to transfer footage to / from my phones while at track. It is probably better to work around a memory shortage by either going for a bigger iPhone (64GB is great), or limiting the sessions video recorded to a minimum. Just my 5 cents :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
shadowpuck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by shadowpuck »

harry,

that was option number 2 - limiting the sessions recorded.
i wanted to explore how i could get as much video as possible - particularly at a certain track as its not often i get to drive there.