Overlaying video for a whole session not just a lap

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
nikgrove@mac.com
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Overlaying video for a whole session not just a lap

Post by nikgrove@mac.com »

Hi,

I used the app for the first time this weekend to cover our race and have been just blow away with the functionality. Absolutely fantastic and I think a lot of people in our race series will be starting to look at this.

A couple of questions that people might be able to help with though:

1 - we do not have a formation/parade/green flag lap before the race, we go from the pits to the starting grid without crossing the start finish line - so we don't have video of the start itself, how can we best get around that? Do we need to start manual recording when we leave the pits?

2 - our race yesterday was 58 laps so I had to go through each lap in turn and run the overlay process to generate the clips, then transfer them to the PC and glue them all together. It's not a huge deal but is it possible to process the whole session rather than individual laps, or batch them up somehow?

3 - when we started the race the lap count was already on 31 (from our qualifying session), how do we get it to reset the counter at the beginning of the session, or is that something we need to do?

4 - is there a track set for Silverstone National circuit already available (I couldn't see one) or can someone point me to some info on creating a new track map?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Nik
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Overlaying video for a whole session not just a lap

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Thanks for the kind feedback. On your questions:

1 - Just start video recording manually: in the pits, select the Video View, press the small record button (not Auto Record - that is on automatic background recording) and drive. You may close video view if you want too. Once you pass a trigger, LapTimer's automatic timing will take over and finish the manual introduction lap.
2 - Frequent feature request planed for v18
3 - You can, LapTimer resets the counter each day. Once there is a race notion (i.e. a group of sessions), this will probably be changed. Not scheduled so far.
4 - I see GP, Southern, and Stowe configuration. You can add another configuration by renaming one of the existing track sets (load POI Set and change name from Lap List / Manage List), adjusting triggers and POIs (check http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Tracks.html for a tutorial) and submitting it to me for addition to the database.

Hope that helps,

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Magus2727
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Magus2727 »

Was #2 addressed? I have version 19 and don't see an option to do the whole session. Would that just be adding all the time before and after a session when the overlay options are presented?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, a few years ago :-D

To create a multi lap overlay, select one lap and press Overlay. In the dialog showing up, you will see all laps covered by the master video associated. Extend the range to whatever range you want to see.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
fuscobal
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by fuscobal »

Didn't get to the track yet to test it so I'm asking here > Say I start the 20mins session and Harry starts recording on my IPhone and also starts the GoPro. On the IPhone, while overlaying, Harry automatically extracts the portion corresponding to each lap from the 20mins video. How does this go with the Gopro ? Will Harry reset the video each time while passing by the start/finish so I will get as many videos as the laps I did or will I have a single video at the end (if so, how do I know what portion of the video corresponds to a specific lap ? )
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer always records videos for full sessions. When passing a start/finish line, lap data is split but videos are continued. LapTimer stores the lap's offset in any video associated so it can find the lap section later. Please check Video Documentation from http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation. It describes the concept.

Harry
Image Image Image Image