Video Overlay: acceleration is jerky

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
fredsiva
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Video Overlay: acceleration is jerky

Post by fredsiva »

First, let me say that this product is absolutely sensational, even when driving on open roads.

I just had a question about the acceleration view shown in the overlay, as it seems that the refresh rate is rather low, and I even believe that the data is displayed a bit "after the facts".

So, a few questions (all related to the acceleration display in overlay mode)
- what the scale of the acceleration circles are: 0.5g, 1g, 1.5g?
- where can you configure the color the the acceleration dot
- can you configure the refresh rate of the acceleration display

And to conclude: it would be so good to have the full "acceleration view" displayed in the overlay: with its nice quadrants and the traces left by the dot to show a few seconds of history!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video Overlay: acceleration is jerky

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The acceleration values are updates at 10 Hz (this can be increased, but I thought it is a good rate compared to typical GPS rates). As these values are 'noise', they are low passed, which produces a little lag (probably 0.3s). Display rate is 5 Hz. The red arrow should react immediately, both the blocks and the history area are a bit slower.

The circle's scales are labeled and set to 0.5g and 1.0g - depending on your current driving style.
The colors cannot be changed - but you can change the g level the colors change from green to yellow to red. Open the context dialog in the Accel View to change it.
No. The update rate is well balanced to not utilize the CPU too much (power consumption) and refresh at a reasonable rate. Changing it will probably lead to timing problems in addition, so I've decided to not allow customization.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
fredsiva
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by fredsiva »

thanks for the quick answer Harry.

I was probably not clear enough in my questions, but they relate to the video produced with the overlay feature, like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTCNhmsFZBE.

The acceleration circles there are not labeled on the video I believe, and the lag seems to be closer to 1 sec.

The "Accel View" is simply perfect with the arrow and the dark green history, and I was just wondering if V14 could feature the same display in the video overlay.

Frédéric
Mini Cooper S
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

HI again,

In the overlay view the g force circles uses the same units, correct. So the circles denote 0.5 / 1.0 / 1.5. Coloring is the same as in the Accel view, you can change the coloring levels there.

LapTimer needs to synchronize the data streams from several inputs. As not all these inputs deliver a synchronized timestamp, their relation to each other sometimes needs to be adjusted. You can do this in Settings -> Expert Settings -> Sensor Delays. The standard settings assume that the internal acceleration sensor delivers values fast (0.5) while GPS takes more time (satellite -> earth -> processing, 1.5). Play with the values to get a result acceptable for you. Please note that values are not resynchronized for existing recordings when you change this delays. So their impact will be on future recordings only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
fredsiva
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by fredsiva »

thanks for the fantastic support level!

Note that I did not find the color settings menu in Accel view, but I am using the one in the LAP view, which is working fine there.

Have a nice week-end.

Frédéric
Mini Cooper S
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, you are right. The setting is in the Lap Details / Data Recording Area, not the Acceleration View.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image