What is the Procedure to Use Lap Timer in Airplane Mode?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

What is the Procedure to Use Lap Timer in Airplane Mode?

Post by Dubbedown »

I know this is a very basic question but sometimes I find myself repeating unnecessary steps just to ensure everything is "working," and even then I sometimes have missing sessions. Can you please list the correct procedure to ensure the following options work?

a) HLT loads track
b) HLT recognizes external bluetooth devices
c) iPhone in airplane mode (to conserve battery)
d) HLT video automatically records starts/stops

I know when I turn on Airplane Mode, iPhone automatically disables Wifi and Bluetooth so I usually turn on Airplane mode FIRST, then go back to Settings and turn on Wifi and Bluetooth and make sure all external devices (or cameras) are synced. However, even when HLT confirms external GPS is connected, sometimes the software still does NOT recognize I am at the track (despite loading the Track when I first arrive). This is what I typically do:

1. Start HLT software, and Load Track from Guide Screen.
2. Turn on external Bluetooth devices.
3. Go to iPhone settings, turn on Airplane Mode.
4. Within iPhone settings, turn on Bluetooth and Wifi - ensure all external devices are 'connected'
5. Go back to HLT, check HLT recognizes devices (More -> Sensor List, and check GPS screen)
6. Check video screen, picture of track map appears, RPM and other OBD data present
7. Enter the pits and start my session!

Am I doing something wrong? Unfortunately I place the phone behind me so it is not until I complete my session I can tell if my session was recorded.

Also when I finish my session, I usually turn off all Wifi, Bluetooth devices, and close the HLT application because the next session is not for another 2 hours or so. When I go back on track the 2nd time, I repeat all the steps above BUT do I need to RE-Load the track again? I guess another way to asking is if I've loaded the track once, and I have a history of laps in my Lap List, does HLT software automatically detect when I am back at the track via GPS, or do I need to load the track every time?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What is the Procedure to Use Lap Timer in Airplane Mode?

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Some points: you do not need to load Tracks more than once. The track sets downloaded go to LapTimer's database and are persisted until purged explicitly. You can check you have a track set loaded at any time in Lap List: scroll to the track's section and check you see a first row named "...Triggers+POIs...". LapTimer will use any track set installed and switch to it automatically if a trigger is passed.

On Airplane mode: airplane mode turns off any RF component including wifi, mobile, BT, GPS. As soon as you connect an external GPS (a BT one e.g.), LapTimer turns off the internal GPS so the battery is not drained. So please check of the whole Airplane topic really makes sense for your configuration.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Thanks Harry, I guess if you weigh the risk/reward of airplane mode, there is more chance something can go wrong so it is not worth it. I only prefer Airplane Mode because many of the tracks I visit have very bad cell phone reception. So I find that when iPhone is constantly looking for a signal, the battery dies even quicker.
NRGDEAD
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by NRGDEAD »

I also would like to turn of the phone part of my iPhone - because I don't want HLT nor myself interrupted with a call or text message or iMessage or some other applications push notification.. ;-)

...but coming to think of it, I'll just put it on "do not disturb", so I can still use the online feature. ;-)
Now you're cookin'!
mr_hyde
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mr_hyde »

There is a local track where I only get cell reception at the top of a rise on the back half of the track. Getting a barrage of text messages at 100mph in the middle of a high speed sweeper is unnerving at best. Taking off a driving glove to clear the screen is dangerous. I like the 'do not disturb' function. Does that work the way we want with no alerts or messages to the screen?
NRGDEAD
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by NRGDEAD »

The best would be to set all notifications to "banner", so they automatically go away after a few seconds.
Actually, I'm not sure if "do not disturb" works if the device is active and not in stand by...
Now you're cookin'!