v17- Added temperature warning colors to gadgets

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
nbnbnb
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

v17- Added temperature warning colors to gadgets

Post by nbnbnb »

I was glad to see this new feature in V17 as on the track its good to know if you need to stop due to your oil or coolant is getting too high. But where do we set the thresholds for too high? For instance, in my car 230F would be a good too high setting.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: v17- Added temperature warning colors to gadgets

Post by Harry »

The values are not configurable. I talked to a German car manufacturer and received typical "good" values for coolant and oil:

Code: Select all

#define kOilTemperaturLowWarning            700
#define kOilTemperaturHighWarning           1200
#define kOilTemperaturHighError             1500

#define kCoolantTemperaturLowWarning        700
#define kCoolantTemperaturHighWarning       1050
#define kCoolantTemperaturHighError         1150
All these values are in Celsius*10 (e.g. kOilTemperaturLowWarning is 70°C)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
macduff
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by macduff »

Is it possible to make these values configurable in a future release?

Perhaps a mid-level warning would be good also, ie. orange at the mid-level then red and flashing screen (for the high warning).

Also, can you provide an example screenshot of what it might look like if the warning temperature is reached?

Appreciate it, thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Not sure this is getting too much information? What is your understanding of "mid level warning"?
Warning is using the standard orange color (Warning color). You can see it by switching to GPS View and going back to Last or Top speed times -> the time gadgets will turn orange.
Errors are red, you can see it in the GPS View (Current) when no GPS reception is available (0 Hz).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
macduff
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by macduff »

Sorry, my confusion here, I just realized you effectively already have 2 warning levels, you are simply calling them highwarning(orange) and higherror(red). That is perfect. The default warning levels you chose probably do make sense for most vehicles/fluids as well, just might be nice if user configurable at some-point.

Thanks for adding this feature btw, good to have these warnings in a place I am looking at somewhat regularly.
macduff
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by macduff »

Harry, it seems there is some demand out there for making these values user-configurable:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthre ... 154&page=6
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for sending the link. The warning and error temperatures are actually provided by a German car manufacturer's engine developer. I'd assume when someone with this background quotes a number, it is serious. I'm aware there are no discreet thresholds in reality, but maybe it should be the first action to go back to the workshop and check if the car should get some more cooling for on track use ;-) I have that item on my list.

On the other comments: almost all cars I have seen deliver coolant temperature, but many do not deliver oil temperature (standard PID).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image