Using LapTimer to Improve Times

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
disneyd
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Using LapTimer to Improve Times

Post by disneyd »

How are you guys using LapTimer to actually improve your times?

I am trying to use HLT Pro for autocross. I have successfully set the triggers up and recorded laps. However, I'm not figuring out how to look at the data on the iPhone at the track and quickly determine where I should go faster/slower. I can't find any documentation on this site to help in that area.

Years ago I had an accelerometer and software (called GCube) that recorded your runs. It then looked at your peak sustained g forces for that run, both lateral and linear, and used that to determine what your vehicle's maximum theoretical friction circle was for that course. Then it color coded your runs, showing you the areas where you were not using 100% of your traction.

Granted, that approach doesn't account for things like off camber turns, gritty areas of the track, etc., but it did give you a quick idea where you should try to go faster. If you knew a particular area of the track had a traction issue you could always factor that into your decision.

Is there any way to do this with HLT Pro? How are you guys using it to improve lap times?

BTW, I've found the map preview in the lap details screen. However, I can't find any documentation on how the settings for that area work. Also, when using the view that provides the color swatches (which I think represent lateral G's) for autocrosses (which are tight courses) they all overlap and seem to be useless.

Thanks for any help!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using LapTimer to Improve Times

Post by Harry »

From the maps view, have you switched to the individual charts? Lateral acceleration is available her. But: LapTimer stores data at the rate GPS is coming in. Although acceleration is displayed using by far higher rates (up to 100 Hz) in realtime, the individual fixes are mapped (using maximum values) to this probably comparable slow GPS update rates when storing them to the database. So fast left / right changes cannot be well analyzed without a high update rate GPS. I plan to change this in future version (18, or 19), but that's the current status.

In case you have a vision of how data should be displayed to allow easy analysis, please file a request in the Feature Request forum. Thanks!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

If a circuit has enough POI's then you can use sector times to compare. But then I havae trouble remembering what I did on each lap to make me faster/slower on each sector!
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

NRGDEAD
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by NRGDEAD »

That's where video comes in handy, I think. But I haven't really used HLT on the track so far, yet alone used it to improve my driving. ;-)
Now you're cookin'!