ok Harry - I know things and will try more - please comment

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Keiths_S2000
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

ok Harry - I know things and will try more - please comment

Post by Keiths_S2000 »

Harry,

Maybe you have not made it to my post in OBD ction of the forum. I see your update times and maybe you are just too busy...

But, this hurts. I jumped too quickly about the Dual GPS. I found you had to download a new driver from Duals website after I was ticked for hours. I then found your forums and found out how to cure this. My mistake. Lesson learned I thought.

This time I have spent hours. I know things I do not want to know. I am trying....
I want this to work; It is way cool... You are amazing...

I purchased OBDLink after seeing you tell a Porsche person to pick it over Kiwi on the forum.

I am getting my butt kicked. I guess I have >20 hours real time troubleshooting.
Every day driving to/from work more trying... I dig into more posts...read again....
what am i doing wrong....

Chevy Silverado is test vehicle. I get some communication, but not solid for weeks of trying some new setting.
I get a few seconds, the off a few seconds.
There are many things still in your software that appear to be undefined from my standpoint.
If I dont get it, I am sorry. I just cant find the answers.

BUT, Tonight I'm ready to pitch this $175.00 unit into the fire when I decide to give it one last try on the target vehicle a MY2004 Honda S2000.
It appears to work like it should (In garage testing tonight)...but very slow as described below.

A message came up that says your software knows it is hooking to a Honda product....I guess this comes from your software, I am not really sure.
I select "link" one time, I selected "don't link" another time. No apparent difference in update frequency.
Also, it appears to select a different protocall fr Honda than the Chevy when hooking the OBDLink computer software in laptop testing.

The pain in my back side is that it will only communicate at 0.5 to 0.6 Hz. Not a typo. You can actually see the lights flash...
Can you please help me fix this? The update rate is very poor. Again, it could easily be me not knowing what to do.
I will do anything I can to help everyone with these issues. Just tell me what I can do.

I'm still ready to pitch it, but have no clue why I think a Kiwi which is rated below the "FASTER" OBDLink unit,
should even be on your recommended list. If you really think the Kiwi will make me happy, maybe I will try it.

But something good needs to come of this OBDlink unit. I see more sucess than this with unsupported equipment in you forums...

Things I know...that may be of interest...

Use OBDLInk software with Chevy, It screws up random length communications just like my original post in ODB forum described.
However, just select the 5 millisecond delay in the OBDLink software and presto. You are solid... There is something to this...
I can fool myself into think I need to move it around inside the cabin. I have no repeatable success.
I tore the unit appart, I dont know, no obvious flaws...I see someone had bad solder joint on a scannet post...related???
The 5 millisecond delay in OBDLINK that cures all communication issues with laptop, doe not seem to have much success when you use EXPERT SETTINGS - PAUSE BETWEEN PIDS. Man, if this worked well, it would be fixed...I can not get any solid results...

BTW, what is SPEED MULTIPLIER and does CUSTOM HOST and CUSTOM PORT have value?
Every hook up on the iphone 4S seems to connect at a different location. Can I set these to an appropriate,
non-dropout value...I don't know if I can set the OBDLINK values.... What type of thing goes into this number, is it random?

And finally, just a note, The 1997 Jeep Wrangler does not want to hear about the Wifi at all...
I really don't care about this at this present, I wiil hook up using USB cable foe fun. But it appears the issue may be protocall sensitive.

There, I'm a bit better now. I do not wish to offend any one. I will try whatever anyone comes up with...
I hope I am just stupid. If so, lay it on me...
My goal is a Honda S2000 ODB at better than 0.5 Hz OBD update rate... Thats all I need to be well again...
As far as I am concerned my other vehicles do not exist...

Thanks for reading,
I'm looking forward to your reply.

Keith :D
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ok Harry - I know things and will try more - please comm

Post by Harry »

Keiths_S2000 wrote:Chevy Silverado is test vehicle. I get some communication, but not solid for weeks of trying some new setting.
I get a few seconds, the off a few seconds.
There are many things still in your software that appear to be undefined from my standpoint.
The whole thing with OBD is a lot about compatibility of the car's bus technology and the OBD dongle. You will get very different results depending on the brand and the year built. I have no idea on the Chevy, what built year is it? Is the Chevy compatible with the OBDLink, any comment from the manufacturer.
Keiths_S2000 wrote:A message came up that says your software knows it is hooking to a Honda product....I guess this comes from your software, I am not really sure.
I select "link" one time, I selected "don't link" another time. No apparent difference in update frequency.
Also, it appears to select a different protocall fr Honda than the Chevy when hooking the OBDLink computer software in laptop testing.
LT request the car's vehicle identification number when connecting to it. As long as the VIN is unknown, LT will ask you if it should be linked to any existing vehicle definition (link) or create a new car definition for this VIN. IN either case, you need to complete the sequence and select or fully define a vehicle in LT. Otherwise, you will get this message every time you connect.

There is only one protocol supported between LT and the dongle, the vehicle brand read out from the VIN is just a gimmick to give a more specific message to the user. There are certainly different car bus standards, but that's something the dongle needs to deal with, not the app.
Keiths_S2000 wrote: The pain in my back side is that it will only communicate at 0.5 to 0.6 Hz. Not a typo. You can actually see the lights flash...
Can you please help me fix this? The update rate is very poor.
I'm still ready to pitch it, but have no clue why I think a Kiwi which is rated below the "FASTER" OBDLink unit,
should even be on your recommended list. If you really think the Kiwi will make me happy, maybe I will try it.
Looking into the thread on Kiwi Update rates (2003 Honda S2000 - 1.5 Hz; 2008 Honda S2000 - 10.0 Hz), you can see a pretty wide spread of update rates depending in the build year. That's the same for many cars, and only recent CAN busses make 10 Hz and above. I can only repeat that update rates mainly depend in the car, not on the dongle. I had a chance to use an OBDLink for a week and it showed 40% faster update rates for my car. This may differ for other cars but has been significant.
Keiths_S2000 wrote:Use OBDLInk software with Chevy, It screws up random length communications just like my original post in ODB forum described.
However, just select the 5 millisecond delay in the OBDLink software and presto. You are solid... There is something to this...
The 5 millisecond delay in OBDLINK that cures all communication issues with laptop, doe not seem to have much success when you use EXPERT SETTINGS - PAUSE BETWEEN PIDS.
In case you have any documentation on the 5 millisecond delay setting and what it actually does, please send it to Harry@gps-laptimer.de, I will have a look into it. That's not necessarily the same this as the (probably outdated) Pause between PIDs setting.
Keiths_S2000 wrote:BTW, what is SPEED MULTIPLIER and does CUSTOM HOST and CUSTOM PORT have value?
Every hook up on the iphone 4S seems to connect at a different location. Can I set these to an appropriate,
non-dropout value...I don't know if I can set the OBDLINK values.... What type of thing goes into this number, is it random?
Speed Multiplier is used for cars that e.g. report constantly 120% of real speed. By setting it to 0.83 (= 1/1.2), you can compensate this. Do not touch (1) if you do not run into issues. Custom host and ports are not needed for the OBDLink as it is preconfigured. Leave this setting at 0.0.0.0 etc. Finally, do not set the Pause between PIDs until you don't know it has any effect. Adding a too big value here will significantly reduce update rate as it is applied approximately 4 times a second.
Keiths_S2000 wrote:And finally, just a note, The 1997 Jeep Wrangler does not want to hear about the Wifi at all...
I really don't care about this at this present, I wiil hook up using USB cable foe fun.
Most probably not a OBD II compatible bus. As stated above, the car and the OBD II dongle need to be compatible.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ok Harry - I know things and will try more - please comm

Post by Harry »

Any progress?
Image Image Image Image