[SOLVED] Strange problems recording with XGPS150

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
jtwang
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

[SOLVED] Strange problems recording with XGPS150

Post by jtwang »

I've been a long time user of the lap timer (since 2007). I just got an XGPS150 in the 5Hz mode and had a number of problems with it today at Blackhawk Farms Raceway.

The program would record a few laps then stop detecting the Start/Finish trigger. GPS status was green and current speed was still being displayed all the time even though it was counting 5 or more laps as one.

The only way I could get the program to start recording again was to quit it using the multitasking menu (i.e. force the program to completely exit, then restart). It would then get one lap and do the same thing again.

It also recorded the very strange lap (attached) which has a time but no fixes.

Also, when the program did count laps correctly, it tended to display the finished lap about 5-10 seconds after passing the Start/Finish point.

I have 593MB free on my iPhone, is this causing the problems? I was not recording video.
Attachments
LapTimer-27-20120521-153209.zip
Strange lap with time and average speed but no fixes.
(752 Bytes) Downloaded 126 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Strange problems recording with XGPS150

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The lap below does indeed not include fixes. Can you please send me the lap that actually worked to analyze the GPS plot and POIs set? Please use the KML format and send it to my email address (Harry at gps-laptimer.de). Please use the email LT generates to get your system's configuration in addition.

As long as you do not record videos, 512MB are absolutely fine.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
jtwang
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jtwang »

Sent a sample lap from before the strange lap. I also have one from after the strange lap that was collected after exiting the program and restarting - but after this one the program stopped counting off laps as I described. Let me know if you need that one. Thanks for the help!
jtwang
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jtwang »

Hi Harry - any luck with this? I've attached the lap to this reply in case the email got lost.

This mail contains the following export files, large files are
compressed using gzip (extensions .hpoiz and .gz):

LapTimer-25-20120521-203334.hlptrl: database in LapTimer XML format

SOFTWARE
Product: Harry's LapTimer
MD5: 760ea5a32f9ce8febfb65f4041f3d0ff
Version: v15.0.3 (iPhone+iPod)
Build: May 2 2012, 10:35:19
Features: none

SYSTEM
Device: iPhone (iPhone3,1)
GPS: Internal
UDID: 3894108717f24648ca2fdf414bb3e17224832c78
Name: Jonathan Wang’s iPhone

ONLINE CLIENT
DriverID: XXX
Simplified UDID: 1393620528
Attachments
LapTimer-25-20120521-203334.hlptrl.zip
(8.85 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Just compared your recording with the official track set / triggers. The stop/go trigger on the start finish line is positioned a little to the east (on the right side of the track - towards the pits). In case you take a line far to the left, this might be the reason for a missed trigger. As you may have read from LapTimer v15's release notes, I have changed the accuracy calculation of external GPS devices (namely Emprum and Dual). In version 15 accuracy is displayed according to the manufacturer's accuracy claim - which is a lot better than the pessimistic rating LT up to v14 had. How does this impact LT's trigger detection? When deciding if a trigger is crossed or passed, LT takes a certain corridor into account. This corridor can be adjusted to three standard sizes (Settings) and arbitrary sizes in Expert Settings. The corridor is made up from a typical track width PLUS the current accuracy. So if accuracy is bad, LT uses a wider corridor. As v15 assumes a better accuracy, the corridor has become tighter...

To work around, please try the "Wide" setting the next time (or adjust the Expert Settings if it is still too narrow. In case we get evidence on this, I will widen the corridor in the next version again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
jtwang
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jtwang »

Hi Harry -

The POI detection is already set to wide because I was having problems before. I had moved the Start/Finish to the east because on the map view it looked too far west. Even with the official track set and POI detection wide the program was having problems.

Jonathan
jtwang
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jtwang »

I was just back at Blackhawk Farms on Monday and am happy to report that this issue is fixed with version 15.0.5. I did leave the POI detection to wide just in case. Times were within 0.2 seconds of a transponder system at the track, so everything is working well!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the feedback, good to hear.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image