GoPro8 - recording stops after one lap

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
filthz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GoPro8 - recording stops after one lap

Post by filthz »

Hi,

i have several issues with my GoPro8:

- Laptimer wont connect to the gopro unless i open the gopro quick app, connect there to the gopro and then connect in laptimer to the cam
- I have to repeat this procedure every time i want to record a lap
- When the Laptimer has detected a new BTG Lap on the Nürburgring, it starts the cam and records the lap. At the end of the Lap it stops the camera. The recording wont restart although i can see the mobile phone being still connected to the gopro wifi and the camera is on.

Please assist as in current state I cannot use the app and its quite dissapointing to have spent 30 € for something that doesnt work for me.

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoPro8 - recording stops after one lap

Post by Harry »

The 8 (and 9 even more) are quite complicated to connect. I haven't even added the 9 to the compatibility list because of this.

In case the remote controlling is too cumbersome, I recommend to operate LapTimer and the GoPro independent. Simply start the HERO before leaving the pits and stop it once you are back. You can add footage to LapTimer later, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjVb8nWCXI

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Squirry
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: GoPro8 - recording stops after one lap

Post by Squirry »

For what it is worth, my experience with a GoPro Hero8 Black has been that it is mostly reliable, but will occasionally disconnect for reasons that I haven't been able to determine at the end of a recording session, so might be relevant to your experience.

I follow a similar procedure to you with an iPhone, connecting to the camera through the GoPro Quik app first to ensure that the phone is connected and also to adjust the field of view.

Then in HLT I select the appropriate video setting (either the GoPro on its own, or multicam using the iPhone camera as well). Most of the time, the camera will then stay connected for the duration of a day so long as the phone and camera are both connected to an external power source. Each time I prepare to head out onto the track, I check the video settings and status in the timer view to confirm everything is connected as expected.

Occasionally, the camera may have disconnected, in which case I close HLT, open up the GoPro Quik app and repeat the connection process.

However, since supplying external power to both GoPro and iPhone, this is rarely required.