app crashes most of the time while trying to export overlay videos

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
sabrich
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

app crashes most of the time while trying to export overlay videos

Post by sabrich »

Hey,

I drove 2 x 5 laps on the Nordschleife, which I recorded. Afterwards I wanted to export these videos including an overlay.

I opened the first set and was able to export it without any issues. Except that I have to leave the phone completely alone after pressing the "overlay" button. When using other apps while the export is running it crashes instantly. So the only useful way is to do it over night.

The second set just doesn't want to work. After pressing "export" I have to wait for around 20 minutes before I can select which laps I want to have with an overlay. Sometimes it already crashes here. Next I normally should be able to select the laps. But the selection of laps doesn't work. As soon as I want to add more than one lap it crashes.
So there is no way to start the overlay export. I wonder why I was able to export the first set of laps but not the second.
The only difference of the sets that I noticed is the file size. The first set is around 7GB, the second one around 9GB.
There is definitely enough space available to store the export.

Any ideas about this issue?

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10
Android: 11
App: v24.5.2

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: app crashes most of the time while trying to export overlay videos

Post by Harry »

Hello,

Please check whether you have selected Hardware or Software encoding. Follow LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ Video Tweaks / Use Hardware Encoding. While software encoding is slower that the hardware version, the later can result in instability for certain certain smartphone models.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
sabrich
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by sabrich »

Hey,

sorry for the very late response.
Hardware Encoding is enabled.

In the meantime we recorded another video on the Nordschleife which takes 1 hour in total. This time there was no single issue exporting this video.
Maybe there was an update in between?

When I started this topic there seemed to be really no way to get an export of our recorded video.

Sabrich
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Software is usually the safer bet and independent from hardware. In case a smartphone implements the video frame memory layout different to what is expected by LapTimer, one overlay may work and others do not. So for the video showing issues, try the Software version please.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image