Jitters using Galaxy A50 and possible solution

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
svtdoug
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Jitters using Galaxy A50 and possible solution

Post by svtdoug »

Harry,

I've read through all the posts related to jitters or jello effect. You seem to recommend turning off any kind of stabilization in the phone for the best video results. In fact, in my Galaxy A50, using the tool icon on the video screen, the video stabilization is fixed to off - you can't turn it on. So I performed some tests using the Galaxy A50 phone app, with its Super Steady stabilization setting on, then off and then with video produced with LapTmer. These were all done on the same road, with the same mounting position, in the same phone RAM mount, one after another. The results can be found in this YouTube video - https://youtu.be/7CUEp_MaYOM

As can be seen in the video, the A50's Super Steady is exactly that - very steady and produces very good stable video from a moving car using a Ram X mount. Much better than with the Super Steady stabilization setting off, which is exactly like the video produced with LapTimer.

Based on these results - if we were able to turn on the A50's Super Steady stabilization within LapTimer, for this phone at least, it would appear to produce much better video quality. The question is - is that Super Steady stabilization available to an app using the phones camera? Is that a possible solution?

Thanks!
Doug
2018 Shelby GT350 - Leadfoot Gray with black strip
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jitters using Galaxy A50 and possible solution

Post by Harry »

Hello,

This seems to be a proprietary Samsung extension. Due to the number of phones available for Android, LapTimer almost always uses device independent interfaces. As a example, LapTimer asks the phone whether (standard) software stabilization is available. In case it is, it allows the user to turn it on or off. It looks like the A50 replies to this standard requests with "not available" but uses something proprietary instead. In case you can find some developer / technical information on the net, please let me know.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
svtdoug
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Jitters using Galaxy A50 and possible solution

Post by svtdoug »

Harry, thanks for the explanation. What a pity! The A50 phone has excellent stabilization, but you can't access it!? Crap.

So this begs the question, which Android phone does give good video results using the builtin phone camera and HLT?
2018 Shelby GT350 - Leadfoot Gray with black strip