Can't Export Videos

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
svtdoug
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Can't Export Videos

Post by svtdoug »

Android 11 here on Galaxy A50. I can no longer export a video. The copy to File Manger sometimes seems to work, but the resulting video is unable to run in any of my Windows video players - Windows Media Player or VLC Media player. the player says there is an error in the file. One time it said there was no EOF tag, or something similar. Often the file copy just does not work and no file is produced. The email link no longer works. Nothing is attached to the email. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Doug
2018 Shelby GT350 - Leadfoot Gray with black strip
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't Export Videos

Post by Harry »

This are probably two issues: in case you can't export the video at all, or attachments are missing for mails generated - it might be the known-issue with access to external SD cards on Android 11. We work on a solution.

In case you can export the video but it isn't readable, it is probably some data corruption from video hardware encoding. In this case, goto LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ Video Tweaks and switch to Software encoding.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
svtdoug
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by svtdoug »

Thanks Harry. On the can't export issue, I offered to test any solution, on another thread.

On the attempts to copy to another location on the SD card using the LapTimer's copy using File Manager, the resulting copy is unreadable when I try to open it. I've tried two different file manager apps. But if I remove the SD card and copy the original Exported or sync'd file from Android\data\com.Harry's...\Files\Movie folder, that file is fine and can be viewed. Its seems to be the copy process within TrackTimer which is failing.

Doug
svtdoug
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by svtdoug »

I got this back from the Google Android forum - bet you love to hear this.
"You can read this Reddit post for more information on this change. Apps that comply with Android 11 shouldn't store exportable data in Android/data directory anymore, but it seems like the app in question hasn't been updated to comply with Android 11 changes yet. You should get in touch with the developer and let him know about this issue. They should be able to make changes to let you save the video somewhere else on the internal storage/SD card."
svtdoug
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by svtdoug »

Harry, any progress on being able to download video file direct (USB cable) via Android 11? This is a real hassle to have to remove the SD card every time I want to download files from HLT.

Thanks,
Doug
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, scheduled for the Spring release. The Reddit recommendation can be realized easily by just removing the SD card. LapTimer will store new videos to internal storage and overlay them to it too. However, this will create memory shortage in internal memory.
Image Image Image Image
svtdoug
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by svtdoug »

Thanks Harry. that's not a good idea for me, my internal memory is pretty full with apps. I would run out of storage quickly on a typical track day.

Also, another thought. One solution to this issue would be to allow the user to select the folder to save HLT recorded videos and lap files. Then we could select a folder which is visible and accessible to the user, outside of Android ridiculous policy. Thanks.
svtdoug
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by svtdoug »

Harry, its been a while. Any progress with the Android problem - not being able to access the video files after processing them via USB connection from my SD card? I am beginning to hate Android! But hate Apple more. Its a real hassle to have to remove the SD card every time I want to access a video.

But wait, I've been playing around with Lap Time today, and non of my previous videos are appearing. I removed my SD card and they are not on the card. I noticed I have a new version 5 days ago. Did you change location of saved videos?

edit: Ahhhh. With more research, I found the latest videos are being saved to the internal phone memory! Man I hate I can't control where things are saved! Would it be too much to ask to let the user decide where to store stuff?

Thanks,
Doug
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The latest LapTimer version allows you to copy a video from SD card to internal memory. Once this has been done, the usual sharing options should work. This is a workaround because I haven't been able to get the sharing from SD card working.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image