Transfer data to new phone

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
rkneeshaw
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Transfer data to new phone

Post by rkneeshaw »

Hey guys,

Tried googling and searching here and haven't been able to figure out how to get Laptimer backed up from my old phone and restored on my new phone.

Migrating from a google Pixel 3 to a Pixel 5.

Did a backup of the database and emailed it to myself, but can't figure out how to "restore" it on the new phone.

What am I missing?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Transfer data to new phone

Post by Harry »

You missed the FAQ here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3341
Image Image Image Image
rkneeshaw
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by rkneeshaw »

Just to confirm, there's no restore method for the database itself, from another device.

Only lap data can be restored from another device
And app settings have to be transferred via tools like itunes or something similar for android.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Backup / restore is about the data. Not videos, the app, or settings. As described in the FAQ.
Actually migration can be very easy and iOS is super user friendly here. When using the iPhone 2 iPhone migration, you get everything transferred automatically. App, videos, data, and settings. To my knowledge, there is no such mechanism for Android available yet. Some manufacturers have their own tooling, and there are probably some 3rd party tools too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
rkneeshaw
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by rkneeshaw »

ok thank you.

FYI - On my android device the attachment of lap data was getting saved without a file extension, and laptimer wouldn't do anything with it. I had to rename it so it had the .hlptrl file extension and then the lap data imported.
SwampDaddy
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by SwampDaddy »

I exported data using iOS 13.5 and after installing IOS 15.1 HLT would not launch so I deleted the app and re-installed. I tried to follow the restore documentation where it states that I should try to open the emailed file from the same device and when I do that nothing happens. HLT is not launched. Data not imported. Please advise.

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please start with checking the attachment is fine. Open the mail in Mail app and scroll to the bottom with the attachment. Does it show something like LapTimer-##########.hlptrz and the number of bytes? Does the attachment show LapTimer-type icon? In case this is o.k., please open Settings app and navigate to LapTimer. You will see a number of permissions requested. Make sure they are all granted.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
SwampDaddy
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by SwampDaddy »

Harry wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:04 am Please start with checking the attachment is fine. Open the mail in Mail app and scroll to the bottom with the attachment. Does it show something like LapTimer-##########.hlptrz and the number of bytes? Does the attachment show LapTimer-type icon? In case this is o.k., please open Settings app and navigate to LapTimer. You will see a number of permissions requested. Make sure they are all granted.

- Harry
When you say permissions are you talking about: Location, Photos Access, Bluetooth Access, Local Network Access, etc? If so, all of that is on. The attachment looks valid it shows as follows.
Attachments
IMG_8234.png
IMG_8234.png (143.23 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
Coz_Philly
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Coz_Philly »

Hello and Happy New Year. My Motorola Moto G5 Plus that was running Android 8 bricked and cannot be started. I upgraded to a Motorola Moto G Stylus running Android 11. I did not have an opportunity to export my last two track days prior to the old phone dying.

Google Play loaded all my laps and backups. However, Laptimer will not start at all. When I hit the icon I get a black screen for a about 2 seconds and then it goes back to my home screen or launcher.

When I press and hold the app icon and go into the app info it shows that I have 79mb of Storage & Cache and when I click on that, it says that 12.48mb of that is User Data. HLT version is 24.5.2.

When I search for the data in internal storage in either data, app, bin, or obb directories or subdirectories I see nothing remotely resembling a path for HLT.

How can I start Laptimer to see if the data indeed migrated? I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling Laptimer on the new phone in case that deletes the migrated data. Since I can't find the path where Laptimer's raw data is stored I cannot manually back it up.

And even if I can find the path, can the data be extracted from the raw Android file?

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

We need to check whether this 12MB are really a working database...

Please open this URL on your smartphone(!): http://gps-laptimer.de/laptimer/emergencystartup

It will backup the current database and replace it by the demo database you get when installing LapTimer initially. Videos are preserved too.

In case you can start LapTimer afterwards, try restoring the backup-ed database from Administration ‣ Databases by long pressing the backup and selecting Restore.

In case this doesn't work, please follow instructions in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3341 This will basically be doing an external backup from your old phone, save videos, install a new LapTimer copy on your new phone and importing the backup.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image