Gopro Hero 8 Black will not connect

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
jak167
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Gopro Hero 8 Black will not connect

Post by jak167 »

I have Harry's Grand Prix v24.04 on an LG V30 android v9. It will not find or connect to my Gopro Hero 8 black. I have search for ways to solve this problems without success. I have removed the Gopro app from the phone to prevent it taking over the camera. I have tried both the Hero 7 & Hero 8 choices. I have Gopro wireless turned on. I have tried both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless. I cannot get it to connect. Any help would be appreciated.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gopro Hero 8 Black will not connect

Post by Harry »

Please make sure the WiFi connection to the 8 is not only established but permanent. Some smartphones disconnect once they detect the WiFi connection does not allow Internet access.

I have no experience with the 8, but in case it still has a connection type setting, make sure it is in App Mode.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
jak167
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jak167 »

Thank you for the response. I am not quite sure what you mean by permanent. The wifi connection shows on my list of saved wifi networks. Do you mean I should have the wifi connection active through Android to the Gopro? I will try in this manner, but I don't know if Android will actively connect to the Gopro. When using the Gopro app, it didn't disconnect my existing wifi connection to the internet when connecting to the camera. It just connected. I will try it however.
jak167
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jak167 »

I got it working! Thanks for your help. Here's how I did it. My Android phone was set to "Master" in multicam settings and I had the Hero 8 camera as my chosen camera. I used the Gopro Quik app and connected to my Hero 8 via wifi. This created a saved wifi network on my phone. I then exited out of Gopro Quick app. I then went to the apps section on my phone, went to the Gopro Quik app and force stopped the app. This stopped the background connection to the app. When I viewed my saved wifi's I saw the Hero 8 connection as inactive. I then connected to the Hero 8, which disconnected my existing wifi connection to the internet, and it asked for a password. I found the network name and the password in the Camera Info section of the Connection section on the Hero 8. Entered the password and it connected. Used the video button on Harry's timer and chose internal and external camera. It recognized the camera as a Hero 7 and connected, even though I have the Hero 8 radio button chosen in Harry's settings. Started a test recording from the preview and the little window to the right appeared saying it was recording from the external camera. I viewed the videos both on the camera and phone and they both had the same time and the Harry's controlled both cameras.

When I tried it a second time, the wifi connection to the camera stayed enabled and the camera beeped to indicate it was connected to wifi but not recording. As soon as I started recording, then the beep stopped.

Please also note, you cannot connect to the Hero 8 camera without first connecting to the Hero 8 camera through the Gopro Quik app and conducting a preview. If you just try connecting to the camera first via wifi, the phone either does not see the Hero 8 wifi connection or does not connect. You must connect the Hero 8 first to the Gopro Quik app, conduct a preview, then kill the app, go to your phone's settings, app list, Gopro Quik, and force stop the Gopro Quik app. Once you have done this it may or may not keep the wifi connection to the Hero 8 active, but it will definitely show on your phone's wifi list. If it's active, then go to Harry's and connect through the video tab on Timer. If it's not active, then connect to the Hero 8 wifi, and then go to Harry's and connect through the video tab on Timer.

Lastly, if you phone shut's off its screen (as normal to save power), it also shuts off Harry's and it loses the connection to the Hero 8. My Hero 8 wifi connection stayed active, but when I open reentered my phone, I had to reestablish the wifi connection to Harry's via the video tab on Timer.

Overall it works, but it's a bit of a pain to have to take these steps each time to connect to the camera.

Thanks again for your help! Keep up the good work. I really like the app.

John
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

GoPro uses an additional BT connection to establish the WiFi part. By using the GoPro app, this part is utilized. LapTimer does not use BT because GoPro has made their API private some years ago. So in case a WiFi connection is enabled already, it works, otherwise it does not.

You are right this procedure is inconvenient. I start recommending to operate HERO8/9 cams manually and add the video to LapTimer manually too (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjVb8nWCXI).

Harry
Image Image Image Image