Missing / corrupted all track day's GoPro videos

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
alexirt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Missing / corrupted all track day's GoPro videos

Post by alexirt »

I have the Grand Prix Edition, was using the lap timer with my GoPro Hero 9 on the track yesterday, as quite a few times before. When in Race mode, made sure the GoPro was connected and heard a beep from the camera when I got on the track, indicating recording has started. Now, the next day, I'm importing the videos from GoPro, the MP4 files for the various sessions are there but all of them are only 28Kb in size, essentially empty and cannot be played. On the GoPro itself it has thumbnails for all these sessions but says "unable to preview" on each thumb. BTW, I did take a few videos on the same using this GoPro manually, and these videos are all there and are ok. So the issue seems to be only with the videos the Lap Timer app recorded.

Very upsetting that I seem to have lost the entire day of footage, maybe there's still a way to recover it? If not, need to understand what happened and how to prevent from happening again. Would appreciate any and all help.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Missing / corrupted all track day's GoPro videos

Post by Harry »

Hello,

The Hero9 is not supported by LapTimer using the direct integration / remote controlling. We do not have access for testing either, so I can't say whether it is working in general using the Hero8 selection, or is working using a particular setting, or doesn't work at all. Maybe some other user can give the answer.

Beeping usually means some command has arrived. LapTimer sends a command to set the resolution / field of view (can be turned off by selecting "None" in "MultiCam Preset" in LapTimer's settings), and a simple start afterwards. Recording is finished by sending a final stop. You can test all of this by selecting Timer ‣ Video ‣ internal & external ‣ wait for HERO to connect ‣ press Preview ‣ press Start / Stop button.

I recommend to operate the cam manually and add footage to LapTimer as described in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjVb8nWCXI when using the Hero9 or any other action cam not on the compatibility list.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
alexirt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alexirt »

Thanks Harry, I didn't realize it wasn't officially supported, assumed it was identical to Hero8. It worked perfectly at the last track day, but before this last one, GoPro updated itself to the latest firmware, maybe that introduced some issue or incompatibility. Did anyone else experience this with GoPro 9? Hopefully GoPro8 won't get a similar update that could break the official integration.

I tried your suggestion with Preview - even after connecting, the external camera rectangle doesn't show any video - just white outline of camera with blue blinking dot. Assuming I should see footage from the GoPro if things were working - correct?

Do you have any plans to officially test and support the GoPro 9? What's the typical time frame historically for such support (based on GoPro 8 etc)?

Thanks for your help.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Preview shows a thumbnail in case a HERO is connected. Life previews are not supported. So this thumbnail is good.

Have you tested this?
You can test all of this by selecting Timer ‣ Video ‣ internal & external ‣ wait for HERO to connect ‣ press Preview ‣ press Start / Stop button.
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
alexirt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alexirt »

Harry wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:59 pm Have you tested this?
You can test all of this by selecting Timer ‣ Video ‣ internal & external ‣ wait for HERO to connect ‣ press Preview ‣ press Start / Stop button.
- Harry
Just tried it and was able to reproduce the problem 100% - I press "start", GoPro beeps and but its screen goes black. After I stop, and go to GoPro media, it says "unable to preview" on the thumbnail of the new video, and the video seems to be corrupt in exactly the same way that my track day videos were. Btw, the GoPro version number in the Camera Info screen is 01.52.00.

Lmk if I can help further troubleshoot this.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This one:
I recommend to operate the cam manually and add footage to LapTimer as described in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjVb8nWCXI when using the Hero9 or any other action cam not on the compatibility list.
Image Image Image Image