Recording for Lap 2 says “incomplete” but it shows all data including my lap time

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
UNLOCK
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Recording for Lap 2 says “incomplete” but it shows all data including my lap time

Post by UNLOCK »

Hello,

I created a new track (HWY 17 Cannonball Run from Exit 20B to Exit 1)

I was able to complete a lap using manual recording and the first lap recorded a time as well as weather and other various information.

An issue arose when I went to do a 2nd lap...
Upon passing the “Start (Go)” Trigger, the lap started recording just fine...
But when I got to the “Finish (Stop)” Trigger, the app did not stop the stopwatch and so we had to manually hit stop on my iPhone (after we had passed the actual finish line).

It was only about a 12 second difference (we crossed the line at about 12:22 but the app didn’t stop the clock. We manually hit the stop button at about 12:34.

The app recorded a time of 12:34.89 for Lap 2 yet it still says “INCOMPLETE” in the recording section.

We have all the data as well as camera footage from a second iPhone in the car as well as a GoPro which will show we crossed the finish line 🏁 at about 12:22.

I almost panicked when I noticed the clock didn’t stop as I was very happy with this lap time of 12:22.

My main concern is...why does the “Lap 2” say “Recording Incomplete” when we have all the data to show it’s complete and also the app has all the analytics?

Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about:
Attachments
Recording: Incomplete (yet we have a lap time and all the correct data”
Recording: Incomplete (yet we have a lap time and all the correct data”
9BB373F2-85E9-4471-8488-42F0E39769E3.png (159.19 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recording for Lap 2 says “incomplete” but it shows all data including my lap time

Post by Harry »

Hello,

INCOMPLETE is a bit misleading. LapTimer is setting this flag in various situation, in particular when a triggered start / stop is combined with a manual or automatic stop. If e.g. you leave the track into the pits, the last "cool down" lap will not be stopped regularly when passing finish. Instead, you will stop in the pits with the timer still running. When LapTimer detects this (zero speed for some minute, it will issue an automatic stop and mark this lap incomplete. Same when pressing Stop manually.

In case you are sure your incomplete lap includes passing the stop trigger, there may be something wrong with the start/stop trigger or driving direction set. I'd suggest to recheck and probably adjust it. You can see the relation between recording and trigger by selecting the incomplete lap from Lap List and pressing Charts in the lap's details. This will bring up a map of the lap with triggers shown. You can adjust it from Realtime / Maps view by dragging it around. Make sure to shift it left / right to driving directions only because you will void the other lap's time otherwise.

Once this is done, goto the lap's details again and follow Data Recordings / Fixes. In the bottom, press the second icon and select Verify Lap from the list. This will reevaluate the recording and re-split it according to your current triggers settings.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
UNLOCK
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Recording for Lap 2 says “incomplete” but it shows all data including my lap time

Post by UNLOCK »

We definitely passed the stop trigger (Exit 1 on HWY 17 South) but we had to press Stop manually since the timer kept going after passing the stop trigger. You must be right about the fact that there may be something wrong with the start/stop trigger or driving direction set.

I am confident we placed the start/stop trigger set correctly, how do we adjust the “driving direction set”?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Goto LapTimer ‣ Analysis ‣ Realtime ‣ Map. Zoom into the start/finish line area. You will see your trigger here. Tap it to get into the trigger's details view. You find the driving direction in the bottom of the screen. 1 (not 0) is North, 90 is East, 180 is South, 270 is West, etc.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
UNLOCK
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by UNLOCK »

I took your advice and changed the driving direction from 277 to 220 and now the red arrow is pointing directly at the finish line and the checkered finish line has been straightened out to be perfectly perpendicular to the road as it should be. Previously, I noticed the driving direction (red arrow) as well as the finish line icon looked completey sideways on the map when it was originally positioned at 277).

Hopefully changing the driving direction from 277 to 220 will help fix the trigger to actually trigger.

I’m also wondering...do you think it might help to change the “Trigger Corridor” to “Wide” instead of the recommended “Default”?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Whenever a driving direction is given, LapTimer will use Wide instead of the corridor type selected. Have you tried the "Verify Lap" thing? This will re-apply the trigger detection for your incomplete lap and allows you to verify the trigger is working without a new drive. ;-)
Image Image Image Image
UNLOCK
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by UNLOCK »

Yes I just tried the “Verify Lap” thing and it worked! It has now added a “3rd lap” even though it’s really data from the 2nd lap later adjusted.

Should I delete the second lap or keep it ? Do I have a choice to keep it ? The lap time when we over-passed the finish line and had to manually stop recording was 12:34 and it’s a nice number 8-)

Once we fixed the driving direction, and hit “Verify Lap” it shows our actual lap time was 10 seconds faster at 12:24, which is also a nice number 8-)

I’d like to keep all 3 laps up if possible.

-UNLOCK
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Actually it is better to delete invalid raw recordings. There is at least one known issue with a data repair operation which fails when laps overlap in time. :-(
Image Image Image Image