Difficulty importing database

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Bunter
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Difficulty importing database

Post by Bunter »

Hi
I'm trying to move a database between phones. The export functions correctly the database is 170 odd laps and 12 mb and attaches the compressed file (2mb) to an email. The target device opens the file in LapTimer but the database does not load, the default 7 lap data base remains the active data base. I've run check data base on the source device prior to exporting to email.
Many thanks in advance
Regards
Bill
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Difficulty importing database

Post by Harry »

When importing a file, you will get a dialog showing the results. Do you see a Details button here and what does it say when you select it?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Bunter
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Bunter »

I don't get any dialogue on importing the results. I open the file in my email client which asks which programme to chose to open the database file with, I select lap timer and it opens. Then nothing else. If I then go to the database, it shows the default one.

Bill
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You should get either a message reporting the number of laps imported, or an error message... So this is odd.

Are you on Android or iOS, and which version? Furthermore - do you have the latest LapTimer version installed?

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Bunter
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Bunter »

I get neither of those things. Yes latest LapTimer (rookie version), Android on both the source and the target phone (Pixel 5 on target phone running Android 11).
Bunter
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Bunter »

I just tried a different email client and it worked as you described, problem solved. My normal email client is K9 (which didn't work), and I setup the Gmail client on my phone and tried and it work.
Thanks
Bill
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks Bill for reporting back. Actually I'm using Gmail only for testing. I assume your mail client doesn't grant permissions necessary to read the file by 3rd party apps. Or at least does it in a different way Gmail does.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tmatyac
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by tmatyac »

FWIW...I was having the same problem with my Galaxy S21 and downloading the attachment in GMAIL did the trick for me as well.