App wont start after importing - have I lost my data

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
bleunetizen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

App wont start after importing - have I lost my data

Post by bleunetizen »

Hi there,

I have exported my lap data from my iPhone and imported into Android.

All data worked fine, I could see all maps properly loaded etc. I've then deleted some laps that I do not need, and went into "database" tab to see if it would show any error and the app crashed.

Since then, I am unable to launch the app, it shows blank screen for a few seconds then crashes.

The phone is Galaxy S10, I hope I have not lost lap data as I do not have a backup of it.

I saw another post and it was showing a link for emergency start up but that page seems like it was removed.

I assume uninstalling then reinstalling the app would wipe the data all together, so I have not done this yet.

Have I lost my data ?

Thanks
bleunetizen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: App wont start after importing - have I lost my data

Post by bleunetizen »

Just to add, the phone has plenty of space left, and restarting the phone did not help, and it is running the latest version that is on Playstore
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please open the Android Emergency Startup URL on your smartphone. It will bring up LapTimer and pass in a command to backup the current database and return to the original database.

In case this does not result in a proper startup, press the Home button to send the app to background. Wait a few seconds and start it again using the LapTimer icon.

Once started, goto Administration / Databases and try to restore one of your recent backups (long press and select Restore). Once this succeeds, run Check Data to be sure. In case this doesn’t work, repeat with an older backup.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
bleunetizen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bleunetizen »

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The url does not work for me, it shows 404 error page. maybe the url is broken?

Thanks,
bleunetizen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bleunetizen »

by going through the threads I found a post suggesting that I should email the link and click rather than typing it in, so I did that and it did take the database back to the basic one and I can get in.

At first it wasn't importing and kept on crashing but I've discovered that if I long press the backup and choose RAW DATA first then cancel out then import, the import worked.

I can see the lap data etc now, but if I go into admin -> databases -> check data, same thing happens.

I proceed with the above steps again and I can get the lap data back in there again, but then again I am not able to use the "Check data" button because it will crash and corrupt the database (or maybe it is already corrupted somewhere but still opening fine for whatever reason..!

I can use the app now but I should somehow get this fixed? :)

Thanks,
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

As long as Check Data hangs, you will run into the same issue the next time you record or import data. In case Check Data hangs, something is wrong. The path to follow for your situation is:

- Create a backup of your (still corrupted) database; this may allow you too extract some laps you will lose when following the next step
- Use an older backup for recovery. This may lead to some late laps lost, but you really need to go back to a sound database. Run Check Data again to make sure it is fine.

The following step requires some technical skills, editing XML files in particular!

In case the older backup misses laps, rename the backup file from .hlptrz to .hlptrl.gz first. Uncompress the file. You can open this XML file using a plain text editor. Remove all <lap> ... </lap> sections recovered in the second step above. As this sections are very long, take care you do not introduce XML syntax errors. Send the resulting .hlptrl file to yourself again and open the attachment from Mail / Gmail to import the missing laps into LapTimer.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image