Cancel button doesn't stop external cam (v24.0)

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
HSV Guy
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Cancel button doesn't stop external cam (v24.0)

Post by HSV Guy »

I am using the v24.0 beta on Android and today for the first time I used the external camera feature to have HLT control my GoPro Hero 5. No issues with it starting the recording but at the end of the session if I hit cancel or stop to stop the session, the GoPro would keep recording. Not sure if it is a bug with the new version or something else... let me know if you'd like any more details.

--edit--
Just reread the doco on this and page 54 says"
So let’s finish the session – we have returned to the pits and we stop the final, incomplete lap pressing the Cancel button in
LapTimer’s Video View. Again, this will stop video recording on the master, and for both satellites. In addition, it will void the
last incomplete lap like usual.
I was selecting cancel (and stop) from the timer viewer rather than the video view - is this the problem? Am I meant to go from the timer view to the video view and end (cancel) the session from there? If so, (to me at least) it would make more sense that canceling it from the timer view should be all that you need to do.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cancel button doesn't stop external cam (v24.0)

Post by Harry »

Cancel and Stop buttons in Timer View should stop any video recording operation. I will check.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
HSV Guy
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by HSV Guy »

Let me know what you find. If you can't reproduce it I'll check it will a manual recording sitting at my desk.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

I ran a test today and it looks like things work as expected. I assume your cam didn't stop because the connection between smartphone and HERO dropped. Recording with an external cam is actually coupled loosely. LapTimer sends commands to start and stop a recording just like when you press the HERO's start/stop button. In case the WiFi connection between smartphone and HERO drops while driving, the HERO will simply continue and not react to any commands. You need to leave LapTimer and reestablish the WiFi connection to get this coupled again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
HSV Guy
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by HSV Guy »

Tired it at my desk just now and it works, so as you said, I suspect the connection timed out.

If I stop it manually do I lose anything compared to if HTL stops it (eg does it make it harder to sync the video or anything like that)?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You can stop it manually. LapTimer will calculate the sync offset from the lap's start. So as long as LapTimer started the recording, it will add these sync points up to the end of the session (or when pressing Cancel/Stop).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image