iOS: Overlay export not enough space

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
DanielSchmalen
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

iOS: Overlay export not enough space

Post by DanielSchmalen »

Hey all,

on my iPhone 8 the Laptimer app keeps saying it cannot export the video with overlay due to not enough space. It usually is missing between 0.4 and 0.8 GB to work. However, I have more than 20GB free on my phone.

I fixed it sometimes by restarting the phone and then the error was gone and exporting started.

At the same time I noticed that the Overlay time does not match the video. In my last video, the Overlay started with 7 seconds on the clock but I was just a second or two after the start point (NOS BTG 2016).

Any fix for either of this problems?

Recording was done with a GoPro Hero 8 (I used the Hero 7 settings in the app), exported to my Macbook and rendered in iMovie before exported to my phone to avoid the pixel format problem.

Best,
Daniel
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: iOS: Overlay export not enough space

Post by Harry »

LapTimer requires double the overlaid video's space during overlaying. Sample: original video is 20 minutes and the lap overlaid is 2 minutes. LapTimer will extract and overlay 2 minutes of video and store it locally. Once this is done, a copy in Photos app is created (double the space) before the temporary video is purged again. The more laps you overlay in once run, the bigger the space required will be. Restarting the phone will purge temporary and cached files all over the phone - this will free up some space.

In case the video is started when passing s/f the first time, you will miss 2 to 4 seconds before the cam is up an running. So for the first lap of a video session, LapTimer will always miss this 2 to 4 seconds and will start with lap time at 2 to 4 secs. In case you get more (7 seconds?) and the original video covers the section before the video starts, you need to check if the video is well aligned. Have a look into the lap's end to verify this. In very rare situations and when using video editors, the frame's timestamps can get off. This will not be recovered by LapTimer.

Both items will be some configuration issues, you need to re-check them please.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
DanielSchmalen
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by DanielSchmalen »

About the space: the original video is about 1.2 GB big so there should be more than plenty of space.

About the 2-4 seconds late start: this is not a problem, but the Laptimer app actually cut the original video from 8:23 to 8:16 after export which generated also a completely incorrect overlay. I can try to check on next lap again but due to the storage problem I cannot export anything.
GreatUK
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by GreatUK »

I continue to have the same problem, only I have 63GB of space free on my iPhone 7, and a video file that is 7GB (which means I only need 14 GB). I have way more than enough space on my iPhone. I've restarted my phone several times, when I go to overlay the data on the video, I get an error that says I have low memory with 7.0GB missing.

I'm not concerned about missing the first several seconds of the first lap, the video is 19:27 long. Please help!
GreatUK
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by GreatUK »

I'm having difficulty with this as well. My video is 7GB, I have 53 GB available. The message says "Master video o.k., overlay data available, low memory (7.1 GB missing)".

I'm not worried about missing the first 2-4 seconds of the lap, What are these configuration settings you mention?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

GreatUK wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:13 am I'm having difficulty with this as well. My video is 7GB, I have 53 GB available. The message says "Master video o.k., overlay data available, low memory (7.1 GB missing)".

I'm not worried about missing the first 2-4 seconds of the lap, What are these configuration settings you mention?
Do you overlay an individual lap or multiple laps? In case it is the later, please try a single lap.
When looking into the Overlay Configuration dialog (the one coming up when Video / Export is pressed), what do you see in size and duration? Or send a snapshot of this screen. And what resolution does the video have?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
GreatUK
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by GreatUK »

Thanks for the reply Harry. I am trying to overlay multiple laps. If I do one lap at a time, is there a way to edit the laps back together? Resolution is 4K UHD. Here are some screen shots...
IMG_3731.jpg
IMG_3731.jpg (82.18 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
IMG_3730.jpg
IMG_3730.jpg (97.73 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
IMG_3727.jpg
IMG_3727.jpg (105.29 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I just discovered a speciality in iOS which may cause this issue. LapTimer uses a system function to retrieve the memory available currently.

For my 11ProMax, it returns 133GB of free memory (see LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ System ‣ Available memory). When looking into Settings app ‣ General ‣ iPhone Storage, I see 102 out of 256 GB are uses, so the memory available is 153GB. So in this example, there is a difference of 20GB.

Developer forums say this gap is memory used currently, but freed up by iOS in case it is required. So this is typically cache data to improve performance. LapTimer uses the conservative value to check if memory will be fine for the overlay.

Before further investigating this, can you please check both values for your phone? Thanks.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
GreatUK
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by GreatUK »

Harry, here are the screen shots you requested...
IMG_3734.jpg
IMG_3734.jpg (141.77 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
IMG_3735.jpg
IMG_3735.jpg (117.92 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O.k., so it looks like this is the problem. It is not possible to disable the memory check in LapTimer currently. So we need to find a way to free up the cached data. LapTimer gets 5.1GB of free memory reported currently with 78GB actually free. Have you tried to reboot the phone?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image