Hardware accelerared coding not available/video not in my gallery

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
DuaneBlack
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Hardware accelerared coding not available/video not in my gallery

Post by DuaneBlack »

Phone - Galaxy S10E
Vs 23.0.13, petrolhead edition

I can overlay a video, despite it taking forever. When its finished, no preview is available, but sound is there. The video isnt in my gallery
Screenshot_20200315-095613_LapTimer.jpg
Screenshot_20200315-095613_LapTimer.jpg (403.57 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hardware accelerared coding not available/video not in my gallery

Post by Harry »

When using hardware encoding on Android devices, LapTimer needs to map frames completed to the smartphone's internal graphics memory planes. In case the manufacturer uses some common plane structure, hardware encoded overlays will mostly work. Once a manufacturer introduces specialities (Samsung is doing this all the time), frame data will be written to the wrong memory areas. This can result in crashes, or empty screens, or something in between. So in case it doesn't work directly, forget it and stick with software encoding. The S10 is powerful enough to accomplish software based overlays within reasonable time.

When I get feedback on Software encoding being too slow, I often see that users are not aware they can watch overlays in real time using Play instead of Export. From my point of view, it does not make too much sense to pipe *everything* through Export. We are all proud on how we drive, but I know nobody who is interested in the dozens of laps I drive during a track day (except myself). Selecting one that is interesting for others and exporting / publishing this is probably what 99% will need. ;-) To watch all, you can use Play and see the result instantly.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
DuaneBlack
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by DuaneBlack »

Thanks. how can i switch to software only then? I only want to export a few laos for me snd a few friebss purposes.

Regardless of if anyone wants to watch, i want the function to work since its why i bought petrolhead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ Video Tweaks ‣ Use Hardware Encoding ‣ remove tick.
The overlaying time estimate will be far too high for a S10. It will be around double the lap time.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
DuaneBlack
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by DuaneBlack »

That makes the overlay eay faster, but the file is still "lost" somewhere in the phone. Its only a 1 lap overlay and i had to fix it by screencapturing straight out of Harrys