Can't import lap info from Mac to iPhone

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Can't import lap info from Mac to iPhone

Post by rbpeirce »

I have previously exported files with the .hlptrz extension with the idea of restoring them later. At the time I had an iPhone 6 with limited RAM. I now have an iPhone 8+ with a lot of RAM and want to restore them.

I added one to File Sharing->LapTimer->LapTimer Documents and clicked synch. It didn't. I changed another .hlptrz file to .hlptr.gz and unpacked it to a .hlptr file. I tried synching that as well. Nothing.

Clearly I have no idea of what I am doing. HELP!!
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't import lap info from Mac to iPhone

Post by Harry »

To import a .hlptrz file, attach it to a mail and send it to a mail account you can read on your iPhone. Open the mail and touch the attachment, select Copy to LapTimer to import it.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbpeirce »

So easy. Thanks.

I read Verizon and iCloud on my phone. For some reason the Verizon mail hasn't come thru so I resent it to iCloud. Worked like a charm.

I also dropped some .mov files onto Documents in iTunes and that worked too. I didn't have to synch. It just did it

The problem is I will probably forget this the next time I have to do it. I will store a note in the data directory.
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

File Sharing in iTunes works just like some file explorer. Dropping a file into it, starts a copy. Other than with a cloud, you need to be connected while dropping the file. Cloud approaches allow the drop at any time but sync in background once a connection is available.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbpeirce »

Yes. Using a Mac/iPhone setup I found I could use Airdrop, Dropbox, iCloud and Google Drive as well as email. Overall, copying it to iCloud Drive is really the simplest way to do it.

I have no idea how Windows and Android would work, but Dropbox and Google would certainly be available. Google is a bit difficult. Dropbox wold probably be better. This assumes iCloud isn't possible.
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Dropbox should work. Place the file into the box, wait until it is loaded to your smartphone, select the file, select LapTimer to import it.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbpeirce »

Everything is working great except for one ambiguity. The app claims that videos loaded into iCloud will automatically get added to HLT. I can't get that to work and HLT isn't an option if I try to export them. This is minor because iTunes File Sharing works fine, but it would be easier to copy everything into iCloud.
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer uses its own private iCloud, not iCloud drive. In general, I discourage using iCloud currently. I want to get away from platform specific features and use some 3rd party solution allowing iOS / Android interoperability for the future.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image