Backup File too big (240MB) - How to backup?

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
kryzak
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Backup File too big (240MB) - How to backup?

Post by kryzak »

Hi,

I was able to transfer my files from one phone to another by using the export button in the lap list of the app (Android), but for regular backups, the file is 240+ MB and email just wouldn't work. I exported a "local copy" on my phone but can't find the file to manually copy it somewhere to back up. Is there a better way to back up my files from my phone when the ".hlptrl" file gets that big?

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Backup File too big (240MB) - How to backup?

Post by Harry »

Can you please check of the backup has an extension .hlptrl or .hlptrz when attached to mail?
Image Image Image Image
kryzak
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by kryzak »

Thanks Harry.

Unfortunately, it won't attach because it says the file is too big to be attached (Gmail only allows 20 or 25MB attachments), so I don't know what sort of file it is.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I do not understand the size of the file... It doesn't seem to be compressed - 240 MB for a compressed text file is really huge... Have you pressed Share or Mail in the Export dialog? "Mail" should apply compression (.hlptrz) while Share does not add compression.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
kryzak
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by kryzak »

I can export it without issues in the lap list menu using "export" and choosing "share" to Google Drive.

My main question is the "regular backup" prompt that I always get ("You haven't backed up in a while..." something like that), and whenever I let it back up, it would say the file is too big and not end up backing up correctly.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

To get rid of the backup warning, you need to run Administration / Databases / Backup. For my device, this function applies compression. As an alternative, you can disable the warning in Settings.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
kryzak
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by kryzak »

Ok, I'm looking at my app right now, under Administration->Databases.

I see a "User Backup" (that I chose "Local Copy" to do) that is 242 MB (918 laps)

I see a "System Backup" (that got created when I clicked "Check Data")

and then I clicked "Backup" and see the popup "This function will generate an email..."

It's backing up to LapTimer-All-20200107-132905.hlptrl, "... and forwarding to Mail"

I chose Gmail, and it says "The file you're attaching is greater than 25MB", and then it fails. Even though it starts with "larger files are compressed using gzip:"

not sure if that helps, but there doesn't seem to be any compression.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The 242MB is the size of the binary database, not the export (which is an XML representation). But looking at your recording profile again, it is well possible a compressed backup is above 25MB here... So for a power user like yourself, Gmail limits are probably too low to allow its use. I suggest you go with the Export / Share option for now. I will add a size optimization action item to my list of things to do in the future. ;-)

BTW: the Backup triggered from Databases will reset the warning even if Gmail fails.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
kryzak
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by kryzak »

Ahh I see. Thanks for troubleshooting this for me! Yeah, export/share is fine for me for now. Was just wondering what I was doing wrong. :P

I'll have to turn that warning off again then, thanks!
ajahearn
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ajahearn »

I am having this same problem. Export/share works but how can I load this file into my other device? I saved the file to a google drive which indicates it is an xml file. When I try to "Copy to Laptimer" laptimer reports that it doesn't recognize the file. Help appreciated. Thanks.

Entirely my problem. My email settings were failing so nothing ever got delivered. Sorry for the post.
Last edited by ajahearn on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.