Live speeds lagging or just wrong, missed start/finish, etc.

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
bldn10
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Live speeds lagging or just wrong, missed start/finish, etc.

Post by bldn10 »

Of late I am just getting too much error to continue using this app w/ my old iPhone 5S. On the fly the indicated speeds are way off and lag behind too much. Periodic missing of start/finish, even if I walk past it. I just went outside into an open area w/ phone in hand and I get a red "Accuracy?" (FWIW also shows low battery when it is 90%+.) I have reinstalled the app recently. Is there anything In can do or do I need a new phone, external GPS, or what?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Live speeds lagging or just wrong, missed start/finish, etc.

Post by Harry »

A certain lagging is what you can expect from the internal GPS. It will be around 2s usually and miss short max speeds. In general, lagging gets worse when GPS accuracy is bad. When walking outside, you should see around 5m / 12 ft accuracy. Please check this in Analysis ‣ Realtime ‣ GPS. Make sure you have granted all permissions in Settings app ‣ LapTimer too.

As your phone is dated now, please check if processing power is not getting the limiting factor: enabled Display Details in LapTimer's Settings and goto Timer (which is the view you are using while driving on track?). See the bottom left corner now. Outside, and after a minute or so, you should see around 14% load and something like 100/300 in the end of the information text. In case you see something different, return to GPS View, wait another minute, create a screenshot, and post it here.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bldn10
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bldn10 »

Thanks for the response, Harry. BTW I've always used HLT on this phone and it used to work better.
Although the signal strength is in the middle of the green and shows green in Status, the Accuracy is 32'.
The reading on the Timer page is L:8% M:32 [+/-] MB Q: 60-80/5/0 Same outside as in the house.
Attachments
IMG_0499.PNG
IMG_0499.PNG (147.42 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It is not a processing bottleneck, the status shown in fine. 32ft is not super bad, but it should be better when outside for some minutes. Do you have a case around the iPhone? All data shown in GPS view is 1:1 what iOS is passing to LapTimer. I doubt it is an iOS version thing as iOS will pass through data coming from the GPS chip.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image