Transfering GoPro hero 7 Data

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
demonic
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Transfering GoPro hero 7 Data

Post by demonic »

Hi I bought an Harrys Laptimer - Grand prix because I want to be able to record only with the external camera. However I am not sure that it works as I would like to and I dont know if it is my fault, or it is default behaviour.

I set up race with video from my Go Pro... It started recording as well as logging OBD2 data. So far so good. After the race I went to the session and video "showed as offline" so in tthe documentatiton I read that I have to reassign it from from video list (in the video list i saw go pro videos, but which ever I choose. It says that video is offline.

So I had to ..
1) Go to the go pro app.
2) download tto device
3) save to photos.app
4) go to laptimer and select video from photos.app

Which is really complicated and I just dont see what I got for paying the upgrade to the Grand Prix version (I am newbie and my only motivation is to have overlayed video from the gopro) in some easy manner.

My setup is iphone 7, GoPro Hero 7 Black
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Transfering GoPro hero 7 Data

Post by Harry »

Well, you do not need to sync data and videos and can start & stop the action cam with GrandPrix. Besides a ton of other features.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tonytkdk
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tonytkdk »

Hi Harry,

I have similar questions. Initially, I configure the GrandPrix to start the gopro 7 black recording. But I realize few problems.
  • Since I'm not using it on tracks. It's always a single lap. The Gopro 7 is starting after the laptimer stopwatch is started. This causes the recording is shorter than laptimer's data. Is there a way to pre-start video recording for 5~10secs earlier?
  • May I know if laptimer supports to control Garmin Ultra 30 action cam?
  • Another point is same as Demonic, it shows GoPro video offline even the video was downloaded to the iphone already. I always sync the video manually.
  • Can we have a signal while the lap is ended or started on the app while the stopwatch is starting. This would help to sync data and video manually easier. I used to export video more than 3 times for doing sync tho.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/fyxSWQ6vMhM[/youtube]
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You can start recording manually before hitting the starting line: enable Manual Timing in Settings. You will get Start / Stop buttons in Timer View afterwards. Hit Start when leaving the pits. This will start video and data recording. Once you cross s/f, an automatic recording will start and video recording will continue. This is making sure you have video for the first few seconds.

Cam supported for remote controlling are listed in www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios. For all others, you can operate the cam manually.

You are probably missing the Re-Link - which is basically revolving the reference between data and video name. The sync point memorized when remote controlling the cam is preserved when Re-Linking, it is just to resolve the file name.

There is no need to Export the video to check the sync. Simply press Play instead of Export - this will give you a preview on the overlaid video.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
tonytkdk
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tonytkdk »

Those are helpful information.

> You are probably missing the Re-Link - which is basically revolving the reference between data and video name. The sync point memorized when remote controlling the cam is preserved when Re-Linking, it is just to resolve the file name.

As for this, question here.

* Should the Gopro be connected while checking the lap?
* The video is stored in Gopro and not exported to iPhone yet. How laptimer query the filename from?

> There is no need to Export the video to check the sync. Simply press Play instead of Export - this will give you a preview on the overlaid video.

This how I did but while playing from the laptimer, the overlay is a bit lag. It's needed to export to camera roll for reviewing then revert to fine tune end position.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You transfer the video using one of the methods described in the video documentation (www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation) first. After having that done, the GoPro is not required any more. The actual reason for the Re-Link step is the filename resolving. When LapTimer triggers a recording, it does not receive file name information for the name used in the GoPro's file systems. When transferring the video from GoPro to Photos using the GoPro app or the Lightning SD Card Reader, the filename / reference can change too. So what Re-Link actually does is allowing you to select the correct video (i.e. the filename after copying the video).

The realtime preview is a bit laggy since iOS12. I need to analyze and fix it for an upcoming bug fix release.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image