Engine data and charts are missing in ver. 23

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
vladlev
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Engine data and charts are missing in ver. 23

Post by vladlev »

Before my last weekend track event (June 21-23) I upgraded the iOS app to its latest version 23.0.3. After the event, I discovered that all my engine data is no longer available - data charts for engine RPM / throttle position / coolant temps are gone (the data that was previously recorded and available is no longer there, and I suspect no new data is recorded).

I am using GoPoint BT1 for OBD data acquision, and can still see the engine data in real time. However, the laps info no longer shows engine data charts, and the portion of the video overlay that used to show engine data are also gone.

Is there a new setting that should be enabled to make these engine data charts visible? Everything was working fine up until ver. 22, and the data is missing in ver. 23 of the app. All previously recorded data is also not shown, old laps that used to have engine data present do not show engine data charts either!

I'd realy appreciate help/advice on this issue.
vladlev
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Engine data and charts are missing in ver. 23

Post by vladlev »

Here is the detailed info on my setup to help with troubleshooting:
Application: iPhone/iOS Harry Lap Timer Grand Prix edition ver. 23.0.3
iOS version: 12.3.1, using internal GPS / sensors
OBD adapter: GoPoint BT1 (Bluetooth)
External camera: GoPro Hero3+ (wi-fi)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Let us start with your observation laps that came with OBD data have no engine data now. When selecting such a lap, what does the Data Recordings / Fixes row day? Please make sure you select a lap you are absolutely sure it had OBD data.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
vladlev
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by vladlev »

Hi Harry,
I checked again my previously recorded laps (for which engine data was recorded) and I was wrong - the recorded engine data is still there and I can see it in the charts. I must have accidentally selected a newly recorded lap because my recent event (in June) happened to be conducted on the same dates as event last year.

However, the fact that I am missing engine data recording on all laps that were recorded after I upgraded to ver. 23 is a concern. I am using the same setup in the same car (which used to work just fine with up to ver. 22, my last engine data recording is from laps I had in April 2019). I upgraded the app in early June, and the laps I have recorded from two events I had in June (WGI on June 7-8 and Palmer on June 21-23) both have engine data missing. No changes have been made to my OBD setup, and I can see engine data in real time engine data mode, but nothing is recorded during laps. All charts related to engine data (RPM, throttle position, coolant temp, ...) are simply not there anymore.
Thank you for your help to fix this,
Vlad
vladlev
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by vladlev »

Hi Harry,
I reviewed and analyzed all the data I have collected, and I found something that is really strange. I updated my app to the newest version 23 in the evening of June 7 (end of my first day of WGI event). All laps recorded on June 7 have engine data recording. The next day, on June 8 I had morning session with the first lap recorded at 09:04 (lap #1579) followed by seven more laps in the same session. Laps 1579-1582 have engine data recorded, all other laps starting with #1583 and on (until the end of that day and all laps of the next event on June 21-23) have no engine data. I.e., the engine data recording stopped working literally in the middle of the driving session at Watkins Glen, and never happened since. However, the Bluetooth connection with GoPoint BT1 dongle is working, and like I said earlier, I can see engine data if I go into realtime engine mode.
Thank you,
Vlad
P.S., I wonder if there is a way to export and send you my morning laps when engine data recording stopped (other than sending you the whole backup data file, which I can do if it might be helpful).
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No need to send data, I assume I’d see the same thing you see. With any data recorded, it is like this:

LapTimer stores fixes made up from GPS, IMU, OBD, tires - depending on what is available. Although these fixes may include more or less of these channel groups, they build a unit. So it may happen all your data (fixes) for a lap in purged, but you will never see a subset vanishing. In case you do not have OBD data for a lap, it has never been there. I assume the connection dropped at some point and OBD data has not been recorded because of this.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
vladlev
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by vladlev »

Thank you Harry for the quick response and for insights, but it doesn't seem to explain why the recording stopped for all subsequent laps after that fateful one. Like I said, once I noticed that the OBD data recording is missing, I checked the connection with the dongle and verified that I can see engine data in real time. However, the OBD data recording is still missing on all subsequent laps on that day (June 8), and during the next event on June 21-23. I am trying to find a way to re-enable OBD data recording for my next upcoming event (Aug. 2-4) - anything you might suggest to look at and/or do to fix this?
Thanks,
Vlad
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have no idea why engine data should not be recorded if available. Please monitor your OBD connection while driving in public traffic. Check if you get constant update rates for OBD and GPS. In case you see something unexpected, please let me know and we can drill into.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
ddozier
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ddozier »

I am having a similar issue with ver. 23.0.5 GrandPrix

My Setup:
iPhone SE
Kiwi3 OBD
XGPS160
GoPro Hero3+
Race Rander Video Editing

I have been using this setup for years now with no issues, last weekend set the car up same as usual, lap times record, video triggers, live data on app shows engine coolant data and GPS data linked to Dual GPS and 4 green bars at the top of the screen. Got back home from the track and went to edit the video and merge data into Race Render. Export data and the app is creating a file that is only 1k in size and there is no data. Go back and look at the laps in the app and the times are all recorded, sectors are showing, but no track map, no charts, the only data available is the "Laps" tab showing all the laps for that track. Went back to look at previous days at the same track and those laps have all the data, maps, charts, its all there.

I have a very set routine and have always been able to capture data, video without issue. I am hoping there is a mismatch in the database and the data is still there. I did a backup of the database and then a check data, the app said database errors found and fixed but the lap data is still missing.

I can send in the backup or make a new one and send it in but I am at a loss as to what could be the issue, any help would be welcome at this point.

Dave
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

The only known issue occurs when using Video Preview while recording. This uses a lot of processing capacity, and is making LapTimer miss sensor data. To work around, please return to Timer View as recommended in the warning dialog shown when Preview is started.

Harry
Image Image Image Image