Two problems for a rookie (how to start race 2nd time and lost 10 Hz logging)

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Plexulf
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Two problems for a rookie (how to start race 2nd time and lost 10 Hz logging)

Post by Plexulf »

Ok, so I started racing again. This time MC instead of car. No more Racelogic equipment at $2000, just my iPhone X, a 10 Hz GPS and Harrys laptimer. But I am struggling with two things and am in need of a guiding hand:

1. How to start timing the second session of the day
When I get to track in the morning and prepare to go out into the pits, I select Prepare Race/Load Track and the press "Drive!". After that everything works. However, second session of the day, I have not found how to start timing again without having to do the same steps, If I just go to Race, it seems to have forgotten I loaded the track an hour ago. Is there a way that I am missing?

2. Reconnect with my XGPS160
So, living in EU, I was still able to ship an XGPS160 from US. And for the first session of the day I enjoy 10 Hz gps logging. However, when done with the session I grab the phone, not the XGPS, and walk away. Now the bluetooth connection is down and I am having an issue getting it back up to be used for the upcoming sessions. I have figured out I need to push the button on the XGPS since it auto shuts down without any connection after some time. Then I go into my bluetooth settings on the phone to confirm it is connected. Then I change into Harrys Laptimer, Prepare Race/Load Track/Drive! (since I have not figured out the smarter way). However, the logging will now be with the internal 1 Hz GPS. For some reason the app is not using the 10Hz logging even though the thing is connected according to the phone.

If anyone knows the answers to above, it will be greatly appreciated.

PeO.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Two problems for a rookie (how to start race 2nd time and lost 10 Hz logging)

Post by Harry »

1. Loading the track is necessary only in case it isn’t loaded already. You can see which tracks are loaded by checking Lap List: every track section showing a row “Certified Track Set” means the track set is available already. So whether it is the first or other session, loading is only required if the track is not loaded already. LapTimer will start the first time you pass s/f usually. Please make sure you have mounted the device like shown in illustration #3/4 of LapTimer’s Quick Reference. Do not wear it in your cloths or place it in a glove box or similar.

2. LapTimer connects to the XGPS when pulled to foreground, and when being notified by iOS the device has been turned on. The later has been an issue for various XGPS firmware / iOS versions. In case it doesn’t work as expected, you can force another connect by going to LapTimer / Administration / Sensor List and pressing Refresh.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Plexulf
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Two problems for a rookie (how to start race 2nd time and lost 10 Hz logging)

Post by Plexulf »

Just to follow up on this. I connect and see that I have 10 Hz with my XGPS160. I select Race but leave it before selecting which screen to pick (Timer). The phone goes in to screen save mode. When I bring it back up, I cannot get to the XGPS. I go into Admin/Sensors/Refresh multiple times, but it is not there. I see the bluetooth connection in iOS. I have not seen if I can access the GPS in the Dual XGPS app, I will try that next time. However, the only way I can get the XGPS to show up in Harrys Laptimer again is by hard restart of my iPhone X. If I just kill the app, I wont ever find it.

I tried to reproduce the steps at home but were not successful. So something is still causing a problem for me.

The lap timer worked really well now, when I knew what to expect. That and that I made sure to recalibrata as well. Thank you for that!

PeO.
aMacUzr
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by aMacUzr »

The first thing I'd say is that, at least for track days, you should disable the auto-sleep/logout mode on the device being used to run LapTimer. Things are just easier and more reliable that way.

For me, there were multiple versions of the XGPS-160 firmware that had re/connect issues with my iPhone 6. With the version I now have (at least fairly recent), it seems to re/connect reliably. When I was having re/connect issues, the only way I could fix it was to delete the Bluetooth pairing in iOS, re-pair the device, then restart LapTimer.

Oh, as I think Harry has mentioned many times, also ensure that there are no other apps running that connect to the XGPS-160 (even though it does support multiple device connections). Can't remember whether LapTimer can connect at the same time as the Dual app, but I always kill that app immediately after running it (and have found it to be very buggy, also).
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

Only one app can connect directly to a BT devices at a time. LapTimer disconnects when sent to background , other apps do not. So the problem always occurs in LapTimer :-(

LapTimer disables sleep mode while in a racing view (like Timer), it does not for views used to Analyse data after the fact.

Harry
Image Image Image Image