Rotation bug on iPad

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Jordan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Rotation bug on iPad

Post by Jordan »

Latest iOS update, latest version of LapTimer Petrolhead. When I have the iPad in landscape and open the lap list, the screen rotates to portrait. I have to pick up the iPad, rotate it to portrait, and then rotate it back to landscape and then it adjusts.
Squared
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Rotation bug on iPad

Post by Squared »

Hi Harry,
sorry, this may be a dumb question but I've done a heap of research and can't see the answer.
I'd like to use my iPad as primary camera and display for HLT.
I find that the race displays all seem to default to portrait mode as does the accelerometer calibration so I assume the intention is to mount the iPad in the car in portrait mode.
However, the camera seems to be locked in landscape mode, which makes sense because that is the normal video display format. Is there some way I can change the race (and other) displays to landscape orientation?
thanks
Dave
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

The standard approach is to set Acceleration Calibration handling to Automatic (see LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings) and mount the pad in landscape into the windscreen. There is a compromise you will have to make when using an iPad because in the windscreen it will cover too much field of view while a lower position in front of the dash will reduce GPS accuracy.

You can use your iPad in landscape just like an iPhone and using the rear cam.

For advanced uses (individual calibration of acceleration), please see Acceleration Handling on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation. But this is really not recommended for most users.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Squared
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Squared »

Hi Harry,
thanks for the reply. Problems solved, mostly!
I can mount the iPad just behind the dash where the back camera still has a good road view (but does not block my view of the road). This will be the master video camera.
I like the idea of using the iPad in this position for the main display because of the bigger display which will be easier to see peripherally while driving.
I am intending to use an external (Dual 160 GPS) mounted under the rear window which has an awesome sky view in the TT.
So sky visibility for the iPad is not an issue (and iPad GPS seems pretty poor anyway - low update rate about 0.1 Hz in testing so far).

I'll also try setting up my iphone in the rear of the car to record inside video separately in low res for the PIP which I can add and sync later.

With a bit more playing and study I have figured out how the automatic calibration for acceleration sensing works, so this is not a problem and I won't need to mess with any advanced settings.

I have also discovered (for the benefit of any other newbies out there) that if I open the race display with the iPad in landscape orientation, the display is initially in portrait mode BUT, after auto calibration of the acceleration AND previewing the camera, the display then switches to landscape and other displays (including timer, engine, GPS, racer, speedo) similarly change to landscape.

However, I am seeing some little bugs with landscape displays (or am I doing something wrong?)
- the acceleration, classic and speedo displays don't seem to be framed correctly in landscape mode and/or, are missing some data displays.
- sometimes, changing to some views causes the whole thing to revert back to portrait mode again.
- when I switch from racer to another display (e.g. classic or timer), then revert back to racer, the data displays disappear from the racer display.
This is not a problem as long as I stay with the views that work ok, which are the main displays you need when driving anyway.
I have some screenshots showing these displays. I can send them to you if they would be helpful (can't seem to insert images).

That aside, I am learning that your software is generally even more awesome than I thought.
I hope you can do some fixes in the next issue to cope with people like me who would like to use iPad in landscape mode as their main display and camera.

cheers
Dave
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Speedo, Acceleration and Classic views are portrait only. That’s by design. Classic will go away and is not maintained any more.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Squared
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Squared »

Hi Harry, I am having trouble with g sensor calibration on iPad mounted in landscape. In preview mode the g is reading 1g to the left as if the iPad is in portrait orientation. Automatic calibration doesn’t work, nothing happens in the static mode. Can you help?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have observed a related problem for LapTimer running on iOS14 iPads: rotation is not properly notified to LapTimer. As a result, one can rotate a portrait only view (like Speedo or Acceleration) and instead of keeping Portrait, it rotates to an unsupported landscape screen layout. Can you please verify this for you device?

I have not found a solution for this so far (but tried it a whole day) :-(

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Squared
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Squared »

Yes, I think this is the problem. I get some strange landscape displays with data partly out of frame or missing. When trying manual calibration it seems to freeze, no green ticks, no cal
Squared
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Squared »

I have noticed that switching the iPad rotation lock on then off sometimes seems to enable calibration to complete the mounting and pitch parts but the calibration doesn’t seem to be remembered
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case you observe the rotation issue for portrait only views I had described (please check), the app is not notified on upcoming rotations currently. This in turn will result in problems with post calibration rotation according to device orientation.

Harry
Image Image Image Image