Video Exports with no Overlay, and can't import replacement video

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
icantdrive75
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Video Exports with no Overlay, and can't import replacement video

Post by icantdrive75 »

Have GoPro footage and timer data from a track day this past weekend.

The GoPro split the last session up into two videos but when I tried to link one set of laps to one video, and another set of laps to the next, it would always try to override all laps to one video. So I tried just doing the first part of the session, which seemed to work, but once the video was exported it didn't have any overlay. It did appear in my photos folder on my phone.

Next, I attempted to edit the two videos together. That worked great, the video is seamless, so I went to import them onto the phone. I used iTunes as recommended in the documentation. The upload appeared to work, but when I try to open the video in LapTimer there is no thumbnail and time is listed as 0. Then when I dive down and try to click on the video the app crashes.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video Exports with no Overlay, and can't import replacement video

Post by Harry »

Two potential issues here:

#1 HERO always split long videos into 4 GB chunks. To overlay laps to the second and later chunks, the chunks need to be joined before transferring them to the smartphone.
#2 For the HERO7, I have received some reports overlays do not appear for the iOS version after using Video / Export. It looks like the video encoding (or more precise, the pixel color scheme) used by the 7 cannot be fully handled by iOS. It is possible to play the video on the device, but unpacking (decoding), changing, and packaging (encoding) it again using iOS media functions, generates unchanged videos. The crash you observed may be related to the same issue.

To work around #1 and #2, try using the free Handbrake desktop application to both join the chunks and reformat to a more standard format handled correctly by iOS.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image